The Chat

After a while of laying down on my bed I had ended up falling asleep. I don't know how long I had been asleep for, but I soon woke up to someone poking my face. I scrunched up my eyebrows before opening my eyes. My dad was kneeling beside me. How long has he been trying to get me up?

"I've been calling you to dinner for a half an hour now, you should probably go downstairs and eat. I suggest heating your food up first." He said, with slight irritation.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"Yeah, whatever you say, just go eat."

"Okay."

I climbed out of my bed and rubbed my eyes, then I headed downstairs. I walked into the Kitchen and saw a plate with steak and potatoes on it sitting on the Kitchen table. That must be mine. I picked it up and put it into the microwave for about forty seconds, then I took it out and began eating it at the table. My father sat in the Living room watching T.V. which made it very quiet in the kitchen. Too quiet. Silence scares me sometimes, I hate how unsettling it is. I soon finished eating and I washed my dishes and cleaned off the counters. After I did that, I grabbed a drink and joined my dad on the couch. At first, he ignored that I was even there, but after a while he started to look at me every so often. He sighed and then paused what he was watching on the T.V.

"Tomorrow we're going to have a serious chat about how things have been lately and what needs to be fixed. I understand the topic isn't a favorite of yours, but it still needs to happen. Also, could we talk like mature adults? I'd like there to be the least amount of yelling as there possibly could be."

"Sure."

"Thanks."

"No problem."

We sat in silence for a few moments until he spoke again.

"I think you should get some rest now, you're welcome to listen to some music or do something upstairs before going to bed, seeing as you took a nap earlier. Don't stay up too late."

"Okay, goodnight. I love you."

"Goodnight, I love you too." He said, as he gave me a hug before I ran upstairs.

When I entered my room I walked towards a shelf full of CD's and picked out my favorite. Then, I put it into my CD player. I'm not allowed to have a phone so my dad buys me CD's to listen to. I turned it down so my dad couldn't hear it and then I grabbed a bottle of nail polish. I didn't have anything better to do, so I'll just paint my nails. I sat down at my desk and began painting my finger nails a maroon color. When I was done I blowed on them and waited for them to dry. When they were dry, I changed into pajamas and then looked over my clothes. It's crazy how there's no blood stains on them. I laid down on my bed and closed my eyes, falling asleep to the sound of my music. When I woke in the morning, I realized my music was no longer playing. My dad probably shut it off. I got out of my bed groggily and then grabbed a pair of clothes to change into before going into the bathroom to take a shower. When I was done I got dressed, brushed my teeth, and brushed my hair before going downstairs. When I was downstairs I heard my dad talking to someone in the kitchen.

"I just don't know what to do with her, she's my only child and she has to keep this business going when I'm gone." My dad said.

"It runs in her blood, she'll love doing it eventually, but you have to give her time. She's just taking longer to accept this than the rest of us ever did." An unknown man said.

"It's been years though, she's well into her adult life now. How much longer could it possibly take?"

Before the other man could respond I walked into the Kitchen like I heard nothing.

"Morning dad. Who's this?" I asked.

"Oh, this is a friend of mine, his name's Jasper."

"Hello." Jasper said "I've heard a lot about you."

"Yeah, nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too."

"Now Y/n, this man will be joining our chat today if you don't mind." My dad said.

"Okay, that's fine."

"Good. Let's take a seat at the table."

We all took a seat at the Kitchen table and then my dad began to speak again.

"I just realized that your son is a year older than Y/n, maybe you could bring him over sometime, let him teach her a thing or two. He's really good at his job."

"That's a good idea, we should set up something like that" Jasper replied.

"All right, we'll talk more about that later but for now let's focus on Y/n's problem."

"Right. Y/n, I'd just like you to know that this life of crime is your destiny, you can't avoid this. By just looking at you I can tell that you have a lot of potential, but you're not using it to your advantage. I know you think it's bad and I know you don't like taking lives, but stuff like this happens everyday. It could be worse. You're thinking too much into it, just accept it, something about it has to feel right to you. It could allow you to get rid of everything you're bottling up. Anger, sadness, anything really. Or, seeing someone in complete, udder agony could make you happy. This is your life, you can't escape what's inevitable."

"Look, I don't get pleasure in seeing anyone in pain or in hurting people, it's just not my thing. I'd rather die than kill people, that's just the way it is. I know I'm disappointing all of you, but this lifestyle isn't for me. I'm sorry" I said.

"Well, do you like art?"

"Yeah."

"Are you good at art?"

Yeah but, what does that have to do with anything?"

"Turn the people you kill into a masterpiece, that'd be doing something you like while following in your families footsteps."

"No, I'm not going to do that."

"One day I'm hoping you'll understand what you're missing out on. This is good for you, you just haven't realized it yet."

"Yeah, okay." I said sarcastically.

He tried to convince me to enjoy it over and over again but I never gave in, I'm standing by what I said. Our chat seemed to go on for hours on end, but it never got anywhere. It just got repetitive.

"Well, I tried Jerry, but she's a stubborn little girl. I have to go now, but I will bring my son over sometime. Hopefully that'll help her."

"All right well, I'll see you later then." My dad said.

"See ya later." Jasper replied as he got up and left.

My dad got up and locked the door, then he came back into the kitchen.

"Dad, I didn't know you were going to bring someone else in to talk to me."

"I just thought he could help you."

"Yeah, whatever, i don't really care. I have no idea who that man is and I don't really want to hangout with his son like we're on some kind of play date like four year old's."

"I don't care if you don't want to be around him or his son, you're to do as you're told. It wasn't up to you."

"Whatever, we're done here." I said, as I stomped to my bedroom.