~You Belong With Me~

Walkin' the streets with you and your worn-out jeans
I can't help thinking this is how it ought to be
Laughing on a park bench, thinking to myself

{Chapter 22. You belong with me}

~Olivia~

Git. Jerk. Selfish. Shallow... I laughed cold-heartedly while I listed all of the words that perfectly described Julian Baker in my head. The day of the championship, the day that we worked for every single afternoon, and he didn't even decide to show up.

The team was even more nervous since Julian wasn't here. Our own coach. 

I looked around the court, we were in another school and over a hundred people were here from all around the world. My team and I did a couple of stretches while I lead the drills. The stadium was huge, big enough that I could only run one lap around the court in 10 minutes. The stands were full and a couple of commentators sat in a box, their voices sounding off of the mic's.

I spotted Blaire and my dad somewhere in the crowd and waved at them, my hand shaking a bit.

I remembered what Blaire told me a couple of minutes ago, "He broke up with Brittany, you know?"

But I just said that I didn't care. This was what mattered now. Boys are boys, they'll play with you then move on.

We'd be playing in a couple more minutes and I just didn't feel whole. I didn't feel like this would work for some reason, that we can't even win. The other team was huddling and talking tactics but they didn't seem intimidating, that just wasn't what I was worried about. I knew if the team and I played well, put enough effort, win or lose, we tried our best.

But Julian wasn't here and I knew that was my problem. I did care. He broke up with her for what? What made him do it?

"And welcoming our very own cheerleaders! The Carolina Topcats!" Then out of nowhere a bunch of girls in short skirts and tight shirts tumble to the middle of the court. They all stand in position with while they wait for the music but then a loud screeching sound echoes through the room and everyone closes their ears.

I look around the court curiously. Then I see familiar dark hair make their way to the center of the court, fidgeting with a mic in their hands.

"Everyone! Can I have your attention!" And then the crowds looking at him, hushing down until it was completely silent. I scoff, Oh, now he decided to show up. But then his eyes lock with mine and I didn't feel any rage, just emptiness.

"I've messed up badly with a girl here that's so amazing. But I'm standing in front of everyone today to say that what I feel for her is not a joke. I've screwed up too many times that we always fought and I've broken promises that I said I would keep. She was someone who made me feel like I could do anything if we were together," Then he turns from the crowd and back to me and I ignore the stares and hushed whispers echoing around the room. He couldn't possibly be talking about me.

"Oh my gosh he wants to get back together with me!" I hear Brittany squeal behind me, but I frown when I hear it because maybe she's right. I turn around, wanting to just get away.

"Olivia Woods," He calls my name and that's when I freeze, "I'm sorry, for everything I've put you through, but if there's even any hope for us then I'd like to ask you something. Will you be my date to prom?"

My heart stops in my chest. He was there, standing in front of everyone carelessly, in full glory, but I didn't say anything. He drops the mic and walks to me with confident steps that I almost back away. But then he was right in front of me. Not too close like always, but cautious and careful about where he belonged.

I turn to look at my team who were all smiling and giving me encouraging thumbs up. Then I look at Blaire and my dad who were exchanging money. They bet on us! But then I look at Julian and the words were stuck in my throat. What should I say? I can't believe he's doing this to me.

"I forgive you," I tell him softly but he doesn't move and I continue, "I'll go with you," He smiles, "But only because your holding up the game."

He laughs and I missed that sound so much. He shouts loudly, "She said yes!" And then I'm chuckling at his immatureness.

His fingers brush mine softly and I grab his hand startling him a bit, "Commit to it."

He whispers while his other hand brushes my cheek, "I would have come to visit you at the hospital. But I-I couldn't."

I hush him, somewhere aside all of that extra ego was someone sensitive, "You don't have to tell me."

"But I want to," He looks down, his voice become quieter, "My... sister. She's in a coma... and it's just so hard for me to go down there every day and wish that she could just open her eyes. I couldn't bring myself to go to you, just seeing the hospital reminds me of her. And my dad, he died two years ago, I didn't want to see someone I cared about in the hospital anymore."

I couldn't say anything to him. Who thought Julian Baker didn't have the perfect family after all.

"If your sister was awake I think she'd be proud of you, for being so strong, for you and your family," I say, rubbing my thumb over his hand. I couldn't just say sorry, he deserved to hear something that mattered.

He sighed and whispered, "I really like you. Now, about prom?" He lifted his eyebrows at me playfully and I shoved him away before things could really go too far.

"Humph, more dribbling less talking," I grin at him, admiring the way he rolled his eyes that weren't amused but loving. I head over to my team, dragging him along. They all cooed and greeted Julian before the whistle blew.

The game was on. 

Authors Note [PLEASE READ]

Thank you guys so much for 1k! I couldn't believe it even when I saw it! This book has been such a ride and I'm so happy you all are still reading till here and I want you guys to do something small for me. 

I want to know who you silent readers are! Tell me something you like about this book <3

Signing out, 

Queens Blade