Chapter 96

Song: Us Against The World by Westlife

Sometimes I feel like the world is against me
The sound of your voice, baby
That's what saves me
When we're together I feel so invincible

I felt Henry placed a kiss on my cheek, but when I opened my eyes, he wasn't there. I heard the bedroom door closed behind me.

I got up in bed and looked at the closed door, wondering if it was my imagination.

As I thought back to the events of yesterday, nausea overcame me and I leaped up from the bed to use the bathroom.

After, I went downstairs to the living room, still in my pajamas. Peeking out the living room windows to the driveway, I saw Larry driving the BMW out through the gate.

Henry left without saying a word to me this morning. He was probably still mad at me for yesterday. We didn't talk to each other since I locked myself in the bathroom, and Henry retreated to his office room. We kept our distance the rest of the night.

Feeling defeated and disappointed—mostly at myself—I turned around and saw Henry walking down the stairs, his soft gaze already on me.

"I thought you left to the office just now. I saw the car leaving," I said, standing at the window surprised to still see him at home.

"Not yet. I was going to, but I couldn't leave until I talked with you. I don't want to leave things like this between us. It's not right." Henry walked over to me. "Let's sit and talked things through. Shall we?"

I nodded and sat down on the couch as Henry sat across from me on the coffee table, our knees nearly touching.

"Look, Ally," Henry leaned toward me and took my hands into his, "I'm sorry about yesterday. Evelyn called me right after you called me for lunch. She said Victoria refuses to eat anything. She thought I could talk some sense into her sister. That's the reason why I was at the hospital yesterday. I'm sorry. I should have let you know."

I nodded. "Thank you for explaining, Henry. I'm sorry, too ... for hiding the incident with Violet's father. I didn't want you to worry about it while you were abroad."

"I know, honey. I know you always have my best interests in your kind heart."

I smiled at him.

"I have to tell you something important," Henry added. "And I need you to hear it from me, not anybody else."

"What do you want me to hear?"

"The truth." Henry took a deep breath. I wondered what he was keeping inside. "I didn't sleep well at all last night after how we left things. And I know, if I didn't tell you now, I would never forgive myself."

I looked in his eyes, and I knew something was wrong. "We've been so much already. Whatever you have to tell me, let it out. I'm willing to listen."