Chapter 76

Song: Unbroken

Song: Unbroken

Because of you I'm unbroken ... Now every piece of my heart is falling back into place ...

I woke up in the middle of the night in Henry's arm. Careful not to wake him, I watched him sleep peacefully in the darkness as I listened to his steady breathing and observed his messy hair.

My fingers carefully smoothed over his left cheek, admiring him in this beautiful sleep.

He doesn't give off the business vibe in this relaxed state. I wouldn't even have guessed he was a big executive of a large conglomerate.

As I studied him, one of his hands reached for mine, holding my fingers up to his lips, and then he kissed the back of them.

"I thought you were sleeping," I whispered in the dark.

"I was, but now I'm awake."

"Sorry for waking you up this late." I could make out the glimmer in his eyes as he opened them.

He placed his hand on my cheek. "Don't worry. Why aren't you asleep yet?"

I thought back to Henry's words from earlier in the night when he told me he wanted to see my mother and Chris. Just thinking about the moment again, a warm feeling overcame me. "I was thinking."

He straightened up on bed. "What were you thinking about?" he gently prodded, twirling a piece of hair strands with his fingers.

"What you said you wanted to see Chris with me."

Henry pulled me closer in his arms and placed a kiss on my forehead. "I do, and I really mean it with all my heart."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"When did you start visiting my brother?"

"I went to see him while you were in the hospital after you lost Baby Kale."

"That long ago?"

He nodded. "During those days, I realized that I couldn't lose you. I saw how important family was to you, and I know—I know that the only person who I wanted to be with was you. Ally, I was a fool—"

I placed my fingers to stop him. "Don't say that."

His hand fondled over mine. "But it was true. I was a fool for not seeing what's in front of me. It's only when I lost it, then I realized what you truly meant to me." He remained silent before taking a breath to continue. "Chris was shock to learn my identity when we first met. I could see how uncomfortable he was when I introduced myself. I told him about everything that happened from the beginning up until then, and that I was sorry for what I did to him and his family. He held it really well and also apologized to me and my family. But you know what?"

"What?"

"I'm glad that I went to see him because from that day when I walked out from the correctional center, I felt this heavy weight being lift off my shoulders. I feel liberated from this nightmare that has been haunting me. And since then, I have been visiting him. All because of you. Thank you, Ally."