Chapter 69

Song: Life After You by Chris Daughtry

I'm out here alone...Just trying to get home.
To tell you I was wrong, but you already know.
Believe me, I won't stop at nothing to see you.
So I've started running...

No color existed in this familiar scene. No longer red. Yellow. Or purple. Wherever I turned, only long lines of soil ruled the land. The fresh scent of tulips no longer whistled in the air.

The people were all gone—not a soul lingered except mine.

There was no young couple holding hands when I turned to my right, nor a small family taking pictures or an elderly couple. Although their smiles still remained fresh in my memory, I could no longer feel the same happiness I felt that day.

My story never turned out like how I imagined it to be from the start. The love filled with passion, hope, or trust that I wished for...was it ever there?

The sun shone brightly down through a cloudless sky as I continued walking down the mulch path. My lips faintly curved into a smile as I remembered the distant moment we bumped into each other. But it disappeared as soon as it came...

I stopped and stared far into where the mountains stood, taking a deep breath as I recalled those beautiful emerald eyes along with the profound sadness in his voice.

The melancholy expression in his eyes. The bitterness in his tone. Everything made sense to me now. Henry and I. Our fate was destined to cross. We were bounded to each other whether we wanted it or not.

After strolling aimlessly for another hour, I drove to the Skagit Valley Casino and Resort for lunch, finding myself in the same footsteps I took that day. When the waitress seated me, my eyes naturally drifted over to the table where my friends and I sat a year ago. Then to the table where he sat with his colleagues.

I lightly chuckled, recalling the memory of me ducking in front of Adam to hide myself from him.

"Are you waiting for another party, my dear?" the nice waitress asked.

I shook my head with a pressed smile. "No, it's just me today."

She nodded. "What can I get for you?"

"I'll have your Chicken Fettuccini."

"Great. I'll be right back." She left me alone without further inquiry.

After lunch, I proceeded over to the casino and came across a crowded roulette game. I still had no clue on how to play the game so I just watched on. The crowd cheered loudly as the dice landed on the number eleven and I thought I heard a familiar voice by my side, but when I turned, there was no one standing there.

My eyes darted left and right to scan the faces around me, but there wasn't the gaze of those familiar eyes always looking my way.

Eventually, I arrived at the same slot machine where he put in a one-hundred-dollar bill and motioned me down to sit down. I sat on the leather chair and my hands felt the surface of the machine.