Chapter 87

song: Shelter by Dash Berlin

And I'll be there when you fall ... and they'll be no pain at all ...

.....

Before going to the hospital, Larry took me home so I could grabbed clothing for the next few days.

Nana was still asleep when I returned the hospital room. I sat down on the chair next to her bed and held her hand carefully in both of mine, waiting for her to wake up. I didn't want to disturb her sleep as she needed all the rest she can get for her surgery tonight.

My phone vibrated in my pocket.

I miss you already, sitting here alone in my seat. Have fun with Nana and be safe. I love you. Henry texted.

Love and miss you too. Stay safe, honey. I texted him.

Nana moved a little bit, and I quickly put my phone away back inside my pocket. She slowly opened her eyes to look at me, confused to see me sitting down beside her.

"Nana, how are you doing?"

"Ally?"

"Yes, it's me. Your Ally."

"How? How did you--" Confusion and shock etched on her face.

"I found out by myself, Nana." I held her hand to my cheek. "I was so worried about you these last few days."

"I'm okay, dear."

Even when she was in this state, pinned to multiple machines and wires, she still had the courage to smile for me. I quietly broke down. "Nana, I'm sorry. I should have--"

"Ally, no, dear. It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. Everything in this world happens for a reason ... a purpose." Every word she spoke felt heavy on her frail body.

"But what about Henry?" I asked. She looked at me sadly. "Nana, he has to know. He needs to. It's going to hurt him more if something--" I paused, afraid to continue on, "--if something were to happen to you, and he didn't know."

"I know, honey. And that's a risk I'm willing to take ... Henry has gone through much in his life already ... I only want to see him happy ... And when I see how he smiles with you, I don't want to take that away ...ever... He'll still have you even if ... even if I may not be here."

Tears broke free my eyes. "Don't say that. That's not going happen. You're going to get better, and you're going to live with Henry and me for a very long time. We still want to take you to so many places with us."

"I like that very much."

"Is there a place you always want to go, Nana?"

She smiled. "My hometown. I'd like to go back home to Annecy."

"Where is that?"

"France. I would like to go back there ... it's where I grew up ... the lakes, mountains, canals, I missed them really much. You would really like it there, Ally. Henry would as well."