Chapter 71

THANK YOU FOR READING!!

Song: Lift Me Up by The Afters

I can see the dawn is breaking...I am feeling overtaken with your love.

I don't know what I can offer...in this moment, I surrender to your love.

The last few days with Henry felt like a dream. One that I never wanted to wake from. Even when he stood right in front of me, at an arm's length, gazing into each other's eyes, I still couldn't grasp onto the idea that Henry—my good, old Henry was really here with me.

Each morning, I was afraid that when I woke up, he would disappear from my sight.  But when I opened my eyes, there he was, lying peacefully and sound asleep next my side. He was so perfect.

And every morning from now on, I'd wake him up by placing a gentle kiss on his forehead and running my fingers through his hair to make sure he was real.

Our time in this magical place was coming to an end and we'd be returning to Chicago soon. Bitter sweetness filled the air as the thought drifted into my mind while Henry drove us to Seattle—Tacoma International Airport late in the evening.

I didn't want to leave. Just not yet. This part was always the worst part about vacations.  Returning back to reality.

When we arrived at the airport, Henry drove onto the exit towards the terminal. He didn't turn into the runways as we always had done. What was he up to? I tilted my head, furrowing my brows, silently asking him where he was taking us. 

"I don't want to leave quite yet so I hope you're ready for one last surprise." Henry smiled genuinely before he climbed out of his car and ran over to my side.

"Don't you have projects to catch up on?" I asked, still sitting in my seat. He nodded.

"But that can wait.  I have more important life matters to attend to," he grinned. I chuckled and shook my head in adoration.

I unbuckled my seatbelt just as he opened my door and held out his hand for mine.

"I hope you don't mind," he started to say as I placed my hand into his and stepped out of the car. "We're taking a commercial flight somewhere else instead."

"I don't mind that at all." I really didn't. 

"Ally, I promise this is the last surprise, and it's something that we should have done a long time ago."

I looked up at him with a confused expression. "Done what a long time ago?  Is there something we haven't done yet?"

"There are many things I still want to do together.  But I remember you told me that you missed the ocean and I thought...why shouldn't we go?"

A smile crept onto my lips.  "You mean ... that we're not going back home today?" Henry shook his head with a playful grin.  "Why do you suddenly want to go to the ocean?"