twenty-eight

So, Ethan is sick today, so he's not coming at the high school. Which means I'm gonna be alone when I finish my Anger Issues Class, with Jason.

Fuck.

“Pumpkin, are you alright?” Grayson asked me, on our way to my class.

“Yes. I am okay.”

“Is it about your last class?” he knows me too well. “If you want, maybe I can talk to Mr. Lockwood. You can skip a class. Or I can come there.”

“No, it's fine. I'll be fine.”

We stop in front of the door, and he grabs my hands.

“You sure?” he asked me, looking me in the eyes. I feel like melting only when I see them.

“Yes, Gray. I'll be fine. Stop worrying.”

“Alright. Call me as soon as you exit the class. If by 4:05 pm you-”

“Okay, I got it, chipmunk man. I'll call you when I am done.”

“Alright.” he kisses my hand, making me blush. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I give him a quick kiss on the lips, then turn around and walk in the classroom.

Let's hope God is on my side today.

An hour later, when everything is over, I sigh in relief. Jason stayed in the opposite corner of the room, far away from me. He didn't even look at me for a second. This is good, right? It's perfect.

On my way out, I take my phone out of my backpack. As I was searching for Grayson's number, I feel a huge arm being wrapped around my shoulders. I gulp, trying to escape from the strong grip, but he only tightens it.

“Hello, Kayla. How've you been?” he asked me, as we were walking to the parking lot.

“Jason, what do you want from me?”

“I just wanna talk to you, pumpkin.” he mocked my nickname. I clench my fists, digging my nails in my skin.

“You have no right to-”

“Cut the bullshit, Kayla. I am not scared of you.”

We stop in front of his car and I gulp.

“Get in, Kayla. We don't wanna waste our time, don't we?” he smiled like a psycho. I look at him sort of terrified, but try to mask my emotions.

“I have my own car. I can't leave it here.”

“You can pick it up tomorrow.”

“But-”

“Get in, Kayla!” he repeated, this time angrier and louder.

“Okay...”

I close the door, buckling my seatbelt. He locks all the doors, and I am trapped.

“Where are we going?”

“Somewhere to talk peacefully, without any interruption.”

“At your house?” I raised my eyebrows, trying to seem more relaxed than I actually am.

“I was thinking of the coffee shop, but my house works too. Nobody's gonna hear you scream.”

I gulp, looking at him terrified.

Then, my phone started ringing.

“Who is it?” he asked me as soon as I took it out.

It was Grayson.

“It's... uhm... my mom.” I lied, thinking of a good excuse to answer.

“Let her call. You'll talk to her later.” he ordered.