thirteen

As soon as I park my car in the driveway, my mom leaves the house. And she doesn't seem angry at all. Wow, she's good at hiding her emotions.

"Oh my God, Kayla, you're fine!" she sighed, then hugged me tightly. I hug her back confused.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, mom."

"No, it's okay. I overreacted." she breaks the hug and grabs my hands in hers, smiling. Okay, this is the calm before the storm. "Let's go inside!"

So the neighbors can't hear her when she yells at me. Good idea.

We get in the living room and I see Lucas watching the TV. I roll my eyes when I see him.

"Lucas, could you please go upstairs? I want to talk to Kayla alone."

"Sure. I see you're back."

"Yes, I am." and I wish I didn't have to see you.

"I'm glad. Your mom was very worried."

I bite my lips, trying to not roll my eyes again. He leaves the room and I can finally sit down on the couch.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you this Friday. I was already angry, and when I heard you got in a fight, I just snapped. Now, I understand why you punched that guy. No one should treat a girl like that. I am actually proud of you." my eyes opened widely as I was listening to her.

"Mom, are you sick?" I asked her seriously and she laughed.

"No, I'm not. I'm glad you resolved that problem on your own. That Principal is good for nothing."

"What about Grayson?" I raised my eyebrows and she smiled. Ok, I think she hit her head on something.

"You can still see him. He is a good kid. He helped you, even though it got him into trouble."

"Oh my God, thank you!" I jumped to her and hugged her tightly.

"But," of course there had to be a but, she's my mom. "you are grounded for running away and not answering your phone. Two weeks, no car."

"What? Mom, how am I gonna get to school then?" I protested.

"I already talked to Grayson. He and Ethan are going to pick you up and 7:40 every day."

"Mom! This is embarrassing!"

"You still ran away. Now, give me your keys."

"Please, anything else, not my car," I cried and she wrapped her arms around her chest.

"Kayla..."

"Ok, fine." I take out my car key and hand it to her. I'll miss it! "Just make sure no one, except you, drives it. Please!"

"Alright."

"I'm going to my room. Can Grayson come over?"

"Sure."

"Thanks!"

I run up to my room and take out my phone. I call Grayson and wait for him to answer.

"Hey! How are you?"

"I'm good. You?"

"I just got home. Are you free?"

"No, sorry. I'm out with some friends."

"Some friends?" a girl's voice. It didn't sound like Mackenzie, Sophia, or Samantha.

"Shh," Grayson said to her, then he chuckled. "I'mma call you when I get home, okay?"