Goliad

Chapter XXII-

"Sire, I can't just leave Asher! She needs us!" Riley exclaimed as she pulled her arm out of her sire's grip and stood her ground, the blonde Alpha releasing a sigh as she turned to face her oldest daughter.

"Trust me, Riles. I know how you feel." Skylar spoke as she stood in front of her pup, placing her hands on the Eragon's shoulders and making emerald-green look into blood-red.

"you feel weak, pathetic that you can't help your mate when they need you. When you need them. Trust me, I've felt like that a dozen times with your mother."

"So please trust me when I say, that the best thing you can do for Asher is to steer clear of her when she's in this state." Riley looked away from her sire, biting her lip as she debated chasing after her mate before reluctantly letting her sire walk her towards the palace's exit.

<><><><><>

Alex growled as she opened the palace's main doors and quickly bent into a squat and placed her palms in front of her, a giant blast of frost and a wave of ice dousing out the flames that had been easily swallowing up homes and small stores. She shivered violently as her father came behind her and she rose to turn back into the palace.

"Get everyone safe." Alex told him, her pointed ears flicking when she heard her mate and oldest daughter's footsteps getting closer.

"Skylar and Riley are close, they'll help you."

"How did you get so proficient with your Lycan power?"

"Xion likes the snow. Now, I got a best-friend to find." Alex grinned before she shifted into her lycan form, shaking out her fur before sprinting into the palace her heavy footsteps resounding in the now quiet palace. Skylar and Riley moving to take Alex's place soon after the young Lycan had left.

"Alex?" The blonde Alpha questioned.

"Finding Asher. Now come, help me get the villagers from the wreckage." Baelfire answered before he placed his hands on the two's shoulders, and teleport them to the center of the public square, Riley immediately moving to lock her horns under a heavy support beam and heaving it to the side in order to help the person trapped under it.

Her eyes glistened however when she realized the Eragon underneath the wreckage was dead, the sheer weight of the beam must've been too much for her. Riley's ears perked when she heard a quiet sniffle from underneath the body, she respectfully and gently grabbed the body placing her on the ground beside her before looking back into the wreckage. Blood-red meeting fearful blue.

"Hey pup, you hurt?"

"No.. Where's my momma?" The young boy questioned, Riley looking away from him before looking back.

"She's..she's..."

"Gone, little hatchling. I'm sorry." A man spoke from beside Riley, the girl looking at him as he offered the young boy his hand and lifted him and settled him onto his waist, easily keeping the boy's eyes from his mother's prone form.

"What's your name?" The man asked.

"Ganna."

"Mine's Goliad, and she's Hatshepsut but she prefers Riley. It's nice to meet you Ganna." Goliad told the boy, as he turned to see Riley. Blood-red meeting Blood-red.

"Goodness. You look just like your mother, Riley. You do have my horns though." Goliad spoke, a sad smile on his lips.