lies

my normal day to day life returned just without nurse and doing the same thing repeatedly. it's been two months since farkle and his family left, leaving his father behind. the morning after they had left, the man had turned into an angry person, some might say like the hulk.

i tried my hardest to forget about farkle, like he did of me. now i just lay on my bed with thoughts roaming my mind, when the phone rings and i jolt up.

i'm not sure who i expected on the other line but when i picked up, it certainly wasn't them.

"hello?" the unfamiliar voice said almost like a question.

"hi," i reply. "um i think you might have the wrong number, no one is home right now and no one ever calls us," i tried to reason.

the voice just lets out a small chuckle. "is this the hart residence?"

"yes," i said cautiously. "and who's asking?"

"well hello, this is the st. williams hospital in paris, france that you visited on your trip to our beautiful city three months ago."

"you speak pretty good english for french people," i muttered, still unsure of why they would call.

the voice laughed again, this time louder. "well of course, we have english speaking employees with us to make sure that everyone can be assisted. but enough about that. i'm here to talk to you about the "baby bubble disease" that supposedly maya hart hunter has?"

"supposedly?"

"well, yes. it seems to be that only maya brought up the disease and not her legal guardian. after going into much more research, we can confirm that maya has no such disease."

at that moment, i fell. my hand was placed over my heart as i tried to steady my breathing.

"e-excuse me? but what about the symptoms that i had in paris? the light headedness and fainting?" i still couldn't believe anything that was being said.

"it's common for people who haven't been outside regularly to feel weak when they experience all of the harsh climate and environment of the outside world compared to their homes. it was merely just a light fever that was taken over maya."

my breathing still wouldn't calm down even after minutes. "will you be able to send that information over to us through email?" i asked. i needed to confirm that what i was being told wasn't a lie.

i rushed downstairs and into mom's office where all the important files were stored, including my health records. slamming the cabinet door open, i filed through the papers until i found them. they were titled "maya's health" in bold black lettering and i quickly looked at my records. while doing so i printed out the emailed copied the hospital sent which only stated that i had a mild fever and lightheadedness. i glanced back at the files and rummaged through them to find at least one piece of evidence that i was sick. sick with the disease that was burdened on me my whole life.

nothing.

there was nothing written about my disease. my birth certificate, health records and everything was normal. it was like any other regular teenage girl's would look like.

my heart sank down to my feet and i collapsed on the ground, hugging the files and sobbing. mom lied to me, my entire life.