Chapter 9: Lull

Chapter 9: Lull

“You foolish, foolish boy. I thought I’d lose you.” Dr. Williams clung to her son like her life depended on it. Fred bore it good-naturedly for a while. For a frail-looking woman, her arms were tightly wrapped around him. When she didn’t let go of him for a whole minute, he began to fear he would die from lack of oxygen.

“Mom” – he gasped – “can’t breathe.”

Abruptly, she released him, muttering an apology, and started crying again.

“Mom”, he groaned.

“Why? Why did you have to save someone by getting yourself killed?” She furiously dabbed at her eyes with tissue.

I did? he thought. Arching a brow, he teased: “Isn’t that what you do?”

“It’s not the same,” she snapped, not taking the bait.

They fell silent. The quiet stretched between them. They both knew that she had risked her neck more than once for a patient...when she was still single. The tears had stopped and she was back to being Dr. Williams. She checked his vital signs and read the clipboard at the foot of his bed.

Meanwhile, Fred’s impatience was getting the best of him. He blurted the first question in his head: “Why am I here?”

She flicked a glance at him, maintaining a professional air. “What do you remember?”

Fred stared at the corner of the ceiling as he tried to recall what had happened before waking. He had seen Louis standing in the rain.

“It was...” Fred frowned. Does his mom know that he was friends with the Roucans and about Electra? He didn’t want to break Louis’s confidence. “It was raining.”

“And?” she asked him, gently.

He tried to remember more but came up empty. Fred shook his head. Why can’t I remember? What happened back there?

His mom sighed and sat on the bed. It pained her to see the confusion in his face. “It’s alright, love. Your memories will come back eventually. Don’t try to force it.” She patted his hand and stood. “I’ll be right back, okay? I just have to talk to your doctor.”

“You’re not...?” Fred had tried to push himself up to a sitting position. The frown he wore deepened.

“Don’t ask.” His mom took the clipboard and was about to leave when she noticed Fred’s expression. “Fred, is something wrong?”

“I – I can’t feel my legs.”

“Thank God you’re alive,” Paolo said in greeting. “It’s not the same without you, Fred. I’m getting tired refereeing between these bickering old ladies.” He jerked his thumb at James and Michael, who both rolled their eyes.

They had brought flowers, a fruit basket, and a stack of get well soon cards from the class. It was a welcome change from the three days Fred had to suffer various tests and the ministrations of his mom, doctors and nurses, and feeling sorry for himself.

“How are you holding up?”

“Pretty well, I guess.” Fred pasted a smile on his face. “I’m starting therapy next week.” He absently rubbed his useless leg. “Mom and the doctors said there’s still a chance for me to walk.” He didn’t add that it was possible he’ll need a can to help him. It felt like sealing his fate if he said it aloud.

“You got lucky, man. What matters is you’re still with us. James thought you were dead when that lightning hit you.” Fred hadn’t remembered the incident. His mom avoided it whenever he wanted to discuss it. He kept a neutral expression with the hope that Paolo would say more. “It was reckless - but I’ve got to hand it to you – very brave. You pushed the Roucans out of the way. James said your leg got the worst of it—”