Chapter 34: Guardians

A/N: Hullo all, I've uploaded another chapter for an early welcome to 2016. Enjoy! :)

Chapter 34: Guardians

Electrifying.

If a chaste kiss could ever be described in that way, it was what Fred felt in that moment. A simple touching of lips made the electricity that usually ran up his arms to his hands course throughout his body. The desire that had gone when he comforted Cheska returned twofold.

She drew back.

Passion overcoming his better judgement, he leaned forward and captured her mouth with his.

Cheska stiffened with a startled gasp. Her reaction woke him a little. He slowed, the kisses becoming gentle – tentative even.

He waited.

Then she melted in his arms.

Elated at her response, the electrical current surged from him engulfing them both in a sweet caress. She shivered underneath his touch. Every touch she placed on his skin drew him closer to the edge. Her kisses became more demanding.

A previous scene played out in Fred's mind. Cheska had used him to get rid of her ex-fiancé. She had kissed him as proof that they were lovers. Her kisses were enthusiastic and...inexperienced. The revelation brought him back to reality. At its heels, guilt and self-recrimination had him pulling away.

During that sensuous haze, Fred had somehow ended up on top. His shirt was open and Cheska's hands lay on his bare chest. The heat from her palms matched the look she gave him. Their breaths mingled in the space between them. The sensations threatened to overwhelm him again. His instincts blared a warning: If Fred gave in, he would completely succumb to his need. He would take her. Gods help him. It would hurt her.

"I..." he began. The vulnerability in her eyes stopped him short. Fred rolled away from her. Lying on his back, he cursed himself. Gods, I'm an idiot. I've taken advantage of her. Twice. I'm acting like a hormonal teenager! I can't believe I just let this happen. He saw Cheska sit up, not looking at him. What do I tell her? How did I get myself into this? His brows furrowed, remembering who started it. Why did she kiss me?

As if hearing his thoughts, Cheska turned to him. Her face scarlet, she said, "I kissed you before." Her blush deepened. "Not recently. I meant before all this – when we were younger."

It was obvious she didn't want to talk about what just happened. Had his ability affected her, too? Still, he was grateful for her attempt to remove the awkwardness that loomed over them.

"That", his voice sounded husky. Fred cleared his throat. "That was eleven years ago."

"Why did I do it?"

"I'm not sure. You rescued me in the tunnel and, at some point, you kissed me."

"Did", she hesitated, "anything change after that?"

"Nothing changed. You were angry with me for a while – taking off and being an idiot." Yes. Nothing changed. I was a bit infatuated with Electra – you. But...nothing changed. Fred studied Cheska. The sunlight played on her hair turning wisps of it into the colour of copper. The rest of it were dishevelled from the fingers he had run through it. Her mouth was swollen and her blouse rumpled. Fred could imagine what he looked like by her appearance. All hinted at what had elapsed moments ago and what could have occurred. He averted his gaze and sat. With deliberate care, he buttoned up his shirt.

"Weren't you going to check on my well-being?" Cheska asked.

Fred dropped the button he was fiddling with and looked at her. Cheska's mouth curved in a teasing smile, though she barely spared a glance at him. Her face was to the window with eyes closed.