Chapter 27: Hyena Quarter

A/N: Hi everyone. Am back to my original schedule (1st and 3rd Friday of the month) of posting this chapter with a few or some revelations. I hope you'll like it. :)

Chapter 27: Hyena Quarter

Hands shot forward, breaking his fall. Anxious voices pulled him from slipping into unconsciousness. A card door slammed; gravel crunched underfoot; then Mohy stood beside him.

"I'm fine", Fred said, slapping Mohy's hand away. His and Louis' protests were ignored as the Libyan checked his eyes and pulse.

"You're not alright", Louis snapped. "You tried to pull off a rescue mission with a severe head trauma caused by Cheska's Doberman over there." He pointed at Fred's chauffeur.

"That's rich coming from a spoiled brat and a thief!" Tony retorted.

"Borrowing and stealing are two different things you ignoramus."

"You knocked me out and..."

Fred sighed and tried to tune them out. He rubbed at his temples, thinking of Cheska. How did she succeed in silencing these two who acted more like children than grown men? Still, there was a new development concerning the "stolen-slash-borrowed" car.

A hand rose in the air and he heard Mohy say: "Pardon me, but it would be wise that Dr. Fred rest and", he paused, "his environment remain peaceful while he recovers."

The men stopped bickering and stared at the doctor. Fred felt their anger turn on him. They blamed him for how things had escalated to its current situation. If his condition was anything but fine, they would be hurling accusations at him for keeping things from them. Fred couldn't help feeling guilty though his actions were justified.

"Let's get you inside", Tony said.

"Not here", Louis interjected.

"Fine. Where do you want us to go, your royal highness?"

The sarcasm was lost on the poor Libyan who looked confused at their exchange. Fred sympathised Mohy. The young man must still be in shock from what they had been through earlier.

"Anywhere but here", Louis responded.

"You'll have to be more specific." Tony folded his arms in front of him.

"How about your place?"

Tony's eyes narrowed, but nonetheless agreed. No one commented on the Libyan woman's state, though Tony's eyes kept swivelling to the unconscious passenger behind him during the drive. He ushered them in and activated his flat's security system, recently installed in addition to the apartment building's own. Louis eyed it as a computer voice informed them that the room has been secured.

"Make yourself at home", Tony gestured to the sparsely living room. There was a bit of feminine touch in it that Fred observed: coloured cushions on the grey sofa and paintings and sketches framed and hung on bare walls. Majority of the artworks were done in broad strokes and bright colours; but a few were more vibrant and alive. Undoubtedly, the decorations and some of the art pieces were Cheska's.

It was clean and cosy for two people. With their number though, they had to squeeze into the tiny room. Zafeera was laid on the sofa. Fred took a portion of the seat, placing her legs on his lap. Mohy perched on the cube-like stool near her head. Louis took his place by the window, watching the building's entrance. Tony pulled a chair from the kitchen. He straddled it facing them with arms rested on the chair's back.

Feeling responsible for the Libyans, Fred started to speak when Mohy interrupted: "It's alright, Fred. I should be the one to tell them."

Fred knew little of what the rebels did through Zafeera. He would have been made to believe the worst of them if she hadn't told him what they were truly fighting for. Still, she had her reservations regarding the organisation's activities. Zafeera had thought that the small knowledge he had would keep him safe from their enemies. The incident in the chapel proved that Fred's involvement — however, short it had been — and his profession made him a person of interest in the Libyan government now that a sickness was spreading in the country.