Chapter 33: Scarred

A/N: Hi everyone, I've been busy this year. Got sick a couple of times and had to stop writing altogether for a while and might have to resume writing this story after February. But since it's Christmas, I've decided to upload a new chapter as a Christmas present to you. :)

Chapter 33: Scarred

The frown Cheska wore smoothened as Fred told her about Louis' arrival up to the point where they left her in the guest room. Her face was impassive when he reached the end of the narration. Fred began to feel uneasy at first. Minutes passed and she still hadn't spoken. His apprehension rose. The others in the room also waited in tense silence. Fred had never seen Electra this quiet and expressionless nor the artist he'd gotten to know for the past few days. They're just one person, Fred reminded himself.

"What will happen to those people?" Cheska asked.

"Usually, we would interrogate them," Mr. Roucan explained. "After the information we need has been extracted, they would then be handed over to the authorities as illegal immigrants." His lips pressed into a thin line showing displeasure.

"But?" she urged.

"The disturbance earlier would have reached the President by now. I am expecting a call from him. He will arrange a meeting with all individuals concerned."

Presently, my staff has released a statement regarding the incident. The public would be led to believe that the area is part of a scene in an upcoming film. Fortunately, we have found one movie production that fits the criteria. We called the producers and settled into an agreement. They would hint that one of the action scenes was shot in our city to the press."

"In exchange?"

"In exchange, Roucan Global would give financial support in the movie's promotion."

"Is it any good?"

Mr. Roucan questioning gaze landed on his daughter.

"The movie."

"Satisfactory." A corner of his mouth quirked.

Cheska nodded.

"And Louis' phone calls?" she asked.

"A separate statement from our Telecommunications Department will be issued. They will state that a virus had infected the server causing substantial damage to the system. The public will be reassured that we are taking pre-emptive measures to avoid reoccurrence. We will, of course, have a few similar incidents in random areas to throw off suspicion. After some time, the department's representative will announce that the virus has been successfully removed from the system."

"Do I have to attend the meeting with the President?"

Mr. Roucan and Louis spoke simultaneously: "I don't think it's necessary." "You don't have to."

"I should go then", Cheska decided. She turned towards the opening on the wall – the entrance to a secret passage.

"Sis", Louis grabbed her.

She stared at the hand encircling her upper arm. Cheska's eyes met his. She said, "It's alright. I'm just going to head back to the ivory room."

"You can use your old room", Mr. Roucan interjected.

"My old room", Cheska murmured, smiling to herself. "Thank you, but I'd rather not risk it. People might talk." Her gaze returned to Louis' hand that still held her.

"Sis", Louis repeated helplessly.

"I won't leave without you knowing, Louis."

"Promise?"