Chapter 6: Friend

Chapter 6: Friend

A copy of The Alternative Medicine lay open before Fred; but, as of late, his thoughts were elsewhere. Beside him, Paolo was writing notes on a blueprint of race car for an international racing competition. Across, Fred, James read The Da Vinci Code; while, at the side, Michael wrote poetry with Fred as the subject.

Fred flipped the pages of the magazine and closed it.

“Bored?” James looked up from his book.

“When are you going to put that book down?”

“Give me thirty minutes.”

“You’re read it like a million times.”

“This one’s in Cyrillic.”

“First, English then French, Spanish, Italian...” He counted off with his fingers. “You never fail to impress us, do you?” Fred said, drily.

“Why don’t you try reading it?” James offered, not taking offence.

“No, thanks. I’ve read it twice this month. I’m going to take a walk.”

They watched Fred sling the backpack on his shoulder and leave the common room.

“He’s in a hurry”, Michael muttered, returning to his writing.

“What do you think he’s up to?” Paolo rolled up the blueprint.

“I saw him with Louis earlier. Fred looked concerned after he left”, James said.

“Is he going there?”

“Probably. He was carrying the same bag when he dropped by the pharmacy. My guess is she’s sick.”

“Let’s hope they make up once and for all”, Paolo said.

Fred headed directly to the upper floor and met Louis in the landing. “Is she asleep?” the older boy asked.

“She’s awake. Our aunt’s inside.” Louis would have knocked then if he hadn’t seen Fred hesitate. “Ready?”

Fred nodded, not trusting himself to speak.

The door opened. He saw the academy’s head librarian Ms. Tildy seated beside the bed. The woman was apparently surprised in seeing him but when her eyes rested on Louis, she thought better not to question Fred.

“He’s here to see Electra”, Louis said.

“Of course”, the aunt said and left with her nephew.

Fred came closer to Electra’s bed. Her face was flushed. He didn’t need a thermometer to know she was running a high fever when he placed his hand on her forehead. Electra’s hand closed on his and said, “Take me outside.”

“You’re sick, Electra.”

“Please.”

A few minutes later, Fred had bundled Electra in a blanket and carried her out while Ms. Tildy and Louis followed their progress from the kitchen window.

“When did they meet?” the aunt asked while they waited for the pair to return.

“December 23. He saw her at the park.” Louis poured coffee for his aunt.

“She never ventures to the academy alone.” They knew Louis’ father would be displeased if he hears what Electra had done. Mr. Roucan had taken pains to make sure Victoria and Electra would never meet.

“I suppose she got curious when I told her about him.”

“I always thought him arrogant because of his pretty face and intelligence. But to be friends with you and Electra, he must be special.”