Chapter 48: The Hunt

Read in alternative platform: http://wp.me/p4sbY6-js

Chapter 48: The Hunt

Allan blocked Cheska. The bodyguard's back facing her, she saw his gaze flit from her to the panther. Then he said to James, "Sir, may I speak with you in private?"

The novelist arched a brow and considered the request for a second. With a slight nod, he and Allan moved out of earshot. Cheska could tell from James' stance, his hands on his hips and head bowed, that the novelist didn't like what he was hearing.

They're talking about you, my lady, the panther said. Would you like to know what they are saying?

"It's about Father and Louis' order, right?" Cheska asked.

Yes.

"Thanks but I think I know what it's all about." She crossed her arms, resisting the urge to pace.

The explanation silenced Allan who glanced her way. Whatever argument the bodyguard was about to come up with died when he saw James glower at him. Reluctantly, Allan retreated to the far end of the room, eyes trained on the novelist and her.

Cheska silently thanked James. The way everybody was bent on shielding her like a helpless child was starting to irritate her. She had almost asked Keena to distract Allan if he hadn't backed down. Because of James, however, she only had to endure the bodyguard's eyes bore holes onto her back while she approached James.

The novelist still looked slightly peeved when she stood beside him. Unsure if he'd receive her thanks, Cheska turned her attention to the screen James scrutinized. "What are we looking at?" she asked.

"This is the floorplan where the first batch of plague victims were confined. What the public isn't made aware of is it used to be a bioengineering research facility. The birthplace of the virus. Its doctors designed the V-X20 and V-X21 strains and its vaccines. You come in with a common cold, they test you positive for plague sickness.

"Each level tests a different strain of the virus. The east wing holds the infected. The rooms are sectioned depending on the virus' progression. Stage 1 goes here," he pointed at the end of the building. "You move towards the entrance of the isolation ward to check on those in stages 2 to 7. These patients here are used to test the vaccine."

"The west wing?"

"The ward there holds patients recuperating from the illness. It mostly houses the lab and rooms for staff use."

"You think Fred is in there?"

"I know he's in there. Louis tagged him with a tracking device before he left. The signal went out when they entered the building." He pulled up screen 12 next to the building's blueprint. Multiple video footages showed people in biohazard suits bustling in and out of corridors and rooms. "I hacked into their surveillance and got this." James dragged a video file to the forefront. He moved his thumb and index finger outward to enlarge the video and pressed play. The first few frames showed an empty hall then five men in biohazard suits appeared. Each carried a staff save for the man who wheeled in an unconscious blonde Caucasian. When they drew closer to the camera, James paused the video for Cheska's sake.

"That's the only footage they have of Fred," the novelist said. "It's likely they hid him." He rubbed his chin in thought.

James had watched the video a dozen times while he tried to pinpoint his friend's location in the facility's blueprint. He was worried but it was the first time his chest constricted at the sight of Fred. Out of the corner of his eye, James studied Cheska and wondered how much she cared for the doctor. Overtly, she hadn't showed much reaction. The woman stared at Fred's face a little longer before quickly looking to the floorplan in screen 10.