Chapter 25: SOS

A/N: Am posting this early since I have to attend to other personal matters this week. I apologise for any technical errors you might find. Haven't had time to edit this chapter but will get back to it once I get free time. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. :)

Chapter 25: SOS

The Mysts may be led by a government but a number of people outside the political arena held an equal power to politicians in the running of the land. These individuals were descendants of the first families who decided to take up residence after adventurer and explorer Archibald Sebastian Roucan claimed it as his.

The man had a grand scheme of opening a large part of his new acquisition to refugees from the countries which had sunk into the depths of the ocean. He gathered the first families and set up a temporary ruling class until they could find qualified people to form a government. Once it was established, authority was gradually turned over to the elected body of representatives.

In recent years, the first families were no longer directly involved, but they were still a force to be reckoned with. They were leaders in the economic market and held a majority of stocks in various industries in the city. Moreover, they knew most of the Mysts’ well-guarded secrets and understood its other-worldly technologies. Still, the one person everyone looked up to was the head of the Roucan Global Enterprises, the explorer’s descendant.

“I don’t get it. Alfred Roucan only has one son”, Tony said, still refusing to believe the conclusion he came up with. “Isn’t the son’s name Robert?”

“In public, he goes by the name Robert Roucan”, James explained. “His friends use his second name Louis. His father made sure that photos of family members were kept to a bare minimum. The last press release that had Louis’ photo was ten years ago.” He glanced at his best friend. Fred’s expression was devoid of emotion – rather, he didn’t have an ounce of feeling that James could feel until a hint of anxiety brushed his senses. Puzzled, he doubled back.

Fred had pulled his mobile phone out when it vibrated in his pocket. He stared at the hyena’s head on the screen a second too long. James clapped him on the shoulder and asked, “You alright?”

“It’s my patient”, Fred said, knowing James would pick up his guilt if he lied.

“You should probably answer that.”

Gratefully, Fred retreated to the hall and read the message. It was similar to the previous one he had received earlier on but for the time of their meeting and an image of a weed at the bottom. The picture was a healer apprentice’s symbol. Zafeera’s brother. Mohy. The inclusion of the sender’s personal signature was an uncommon practice. The dubious message screamed urgency, but what kind of aid was being asked from him? Mohy didn’t look like a fighter like his sister. If he was in trouble…Fred considered leaving at once now that they knew Louis was safe.

He re-joined the group just in time to hear James ask Tony to check the situation in Cheska’s home.

“We don’t know if Louis is alone though”, James said.

“I’ll be careful”, Tony promised.

“I’ll stay with Diana”, Cheska said, mentally crossing her fingers. She hoped no one would suspect that she had other motives beyond chatting with an old friend.

Tony was too relieved to have avoided an argument he was bracing himself for – if she insisted on tagging along despite the danger – that he gladly accepted her decision.

Cheska thought she would have to find a way to talk to James privately while Fred was under the same roof. Yet, as luck would have it, he said: “I have to see a patient.” He gestured at his phone with an apologetic look.