Chapter 7: Lost

Chapter 7: Lost

Saturday. An attractive petite blonde woman in a body-hugging red dress strode over to a group of teenage boys with open arms. One of them stepped back. His eyes darted sideways, ready to bolt, when he was engulfed in the floral scented embrace of his mother. People around them were staring at the demonstrative display of affection of a woman, who graced television shows and featured in magazines and newspapers.

“Mom”, Fred complained and awkwardly returned the hug.

Dr. Cassandra Williams was the best in in the field of alternative medicine. Some called her a Witch Doctor, a nickname she despised, born out of spite. When she was still new to her celebrity status, they said that she could ensnare any man with her charms. Then, there was the rumour that she owed her youthfulness and beauty after finding the mythical elixir of life. Other tales about her and the “miracles” she performed were either exaggerated or made up. Those who knew Dr. Williams personally were more likely aware which stories were fictive or real. They would also agree that her son was the light in her life.

“I’m sorry for having neglected you. Your father and I…had been very busy.”

“It's okay, Mom. I understand.”

“You’ve been such a good student and I feel awful we weren’t there for you.” His mom wiped a stray tear from her cheek. Fred understood that she wasn’t just referring to the weekend visits they had missed last year. “But I assure you it won’t happen again.”

Alarm bells rang in his head and noticed his father absence. “Where’s Dad?”

“Why don’t you introduce me to your friends first?” She gave her son a watery smile. Fred hadn’t been fooled that she had avoided the question. But the hint of sadness in her eyes was enough to make him put aside his questions for the moment and comply with his mother’s wishes.

At the park, Sheila had her laptop open. She has had CCTV cameras and satellites trained on Fred and her best friend Victoria for weeks.

Apparently, Mr. Roucan had said something to Victoria to make her decide not to put the new student in trouble. Still, they secretly kept an eye on him through the surveillance cameras, just in case. It was during the Christmas break that Sheila saw another Victoria on the screen. She was dressed plainly and talking to Fred. But the girl in question was sleeping next door to her in a hotel in France.

Sheila had shown the video recording and asked Victoria, who denied the possibility of having a twin. The subject was never discussed again but, a week after classes resumed, Victoria started behaving oddly. She stared into space with a troubled expression when she thought no one was looking. She would go missing in the wee hours of the morning and late in the evening. Nevertheless, Victoria acted normally in front of everybody and hadn’t confided with Sheila about where she went.

Something strange was going on and Sheila was determined to find out what it was. However, it still frustrated her when Victoria completely disappeared from view, like now.

Victoria stepped out of the trees several yards from the girl who sat alone, engrossed with her laptop. The park was filled with visiting families. Hiding her trembling hands in her jeans’ pocket, she walked briskly towards the person.

“Sheila.” The girl looked up at Victoria. Her eyes went wide with questions as she took in her best friend’s appearance. Victoria looked frightened and close to tears. Blood oozed from a gash on her forehead.

Without saying a word, Sheila took her hand and led the way to the nurse’s office.

“No.” Victoria shook her head vigorously. “Let’s – go to your room. The – the wound isn’t so bad. You can fix it”, she stammered.