Obstacles

The night had fallen quickly and now you were sitting in Aaron's car, which the group had found. The man had told the truth, he and his friend had arrived separately, carrying a car and a huge camper full of food and other useful supplies. Nevertheless, Rick thought it right not to give them confidence immediately. He first wanted to see the acclaimed community with his own eyes. Although it was more logical to leave early in the morning, the sheriff had forced you not to wait for the sun. In this way you could observe the place unnoticed. If it hadn't convinced you, you could have escaped without attracting attention. It was a considerable advantage, after all. You sat in the back seat, on the right, next to Aaron and Michonne. Before that were Rick and Glenn. It was pitch dark, but you could still see the faint outlines of the trees and wouldn't have missed them at all. You were tired of this life on the street and you prayed that the place you were going to was really safe. Aaron had described the place in detail and told you about houses, lawns, solar panels, and more. Everything that was considered normal in the past. Although he spoke of it with a big smile on his face, you couldn't help but consider it an exaggeration, a possible lie. In short, it couldn't be true... Michonne went on to search the photos, to see every nuance, as if she wanted to find a mistake. And in between, you wondered what Daryl did, what he thought.

"Why aren't people in these photos?", Michonne asked confused and Glenn looked at you from the mirror.

"I screwed it up with the exposure, I had a group photo, but it was too bad.", he curtailed, but none of you seemed to be convinced.

"Did you ask the three questions?"

"No.", Rick replied.

While he was in charge of the interrogation, you leaned forward to see what the sheriff was doing. You put your hands on his seat, peered over his shoulder and noticed some plates. It looked like a collection. Then he sank his hands into the dashboard and pulled out a tape recorder equipped with the necessary equipment to pick up sounds from a distance.

"You heard us?"

"I told you... we kept an eye on you.", Aaron answered in a hurry. You snorted and dropped back into your seat.

"That amazes you, Rick?", you said ironically: "In this community they also have a coffee machine, toaster and video games..."

When Rick wanted to answer, the car jerked noisily. You saw a walker crack on the bonnet and flood the windshield with blood. After him came other bodies. You were traveling, one walker at a time, leaving a trail of granular, dense blood behind you. The car lurched over the bad grip of the tires and Glenn lost control. You turned one hundred and eighty degrees and found yourselves in a crowd of excited walkers. You tried to scan the lights of the camper, but there was no sign of them anymore.

"We lost them!", you shouted and the others immediately noticed. Glenn tried to restart the car, but the engine didn't want to. The sound of the lightning was just a constant repetition, echoing and obscuring the lamentations of the living dead. Rick was ready to fire, but in the sky appeared a signal rocket, which imploded in bright red.

"Shit!", Aaron yelled: "It's over!"

You asked him what he was talking about, but he had panicked. Although his hands were tied behind his back, he kicked the door and flung it open.

"We have to get out of here right now!", he exclaimed excitedly.

Without thinking, you jumped out and freed yourselves from the walkers. Aaron threw himself into the clearing and ran like crazy. Rick ordered the man to stop, but he did not obey.

"I think it's better to follow him!", Glenn advised: "Here we can not last long, there are too many!"

"We have to look for the others!", the sheriff replied.