Better Than Nothing

The smell of engine oil impregnated the whole room, making the air heavy and uncomfortable. Some car coaches had been set up like beds. The floor was dirty, but you were sitting there and you did not care. To tell the truth, you did not care, because the only thing you thought about at that moment was death. You were tired of fighting, you had resisted too much. You couldn't stand anything else anymore, you had reached the limit. During this horror, during the rape, your mind was involved in a single thought: 'Please kill me.'

And you did nothing but repeat it, as if you were convincing yourself that it would happen, as if they were convincing you that this torture would end and you would be fine, in another dimension or in some other fucked up world after death. Instead, you were still there, in this damn reality that was infested with living dead. But they weren't the real monsters, because these men vied for the title. The world was degenerate, bringing people into oblivion. In a place where they had to force themselves and fight, madness and violence had outstripped the solidarity instinct. Fuck survival, this is fun. That was the reason. In a place where everything went wrong, nobody can tell you what to do or not, there is freedom, pure and honest freedom of action. Goodbye values ​​like ethics and morality. This is the beginning of the end. And you were overwhelmed by this situation. What was left of you? Something. A doll without content, that was you. An inanimate puppet. Feelings, emotions? Not here anymore. Instinct, fears? Not here anymore. You were frozen inside. Joe, after having his fun, gave the other two their time.

"A quickie, I recommend you.", he said laughing.

It was better to go back before it got dark, so he would hurry, happy with the sex. He hadn't left; on the contrary, he had continued to watch. But in his eyes you read no physical excitement, his was of a different kind. Excited, pleased to have crossed this limit of humanity. As if the chaos was a blessing, a new beginning for him and his colleagues. When the two men finished but Joe didn't think about leaving you there. You were a rarity, Len had told you. And the group enjoyed it. Well, now you were in one of their hiding places, or just going through... After showing you proudly, almost like a trophy, they threw you into a corner and tied your wrists with a rope. They undressed you with a simple look. You perceived their hunger. The physical pain you felt was strong, but never as distressing as your psyche. You kept staring at your wrists. The rope had been over-tightened, so much that redness had already formed on the skin. At first, you tried slowly, without arousing suspicion, to turn the wrists. But there was no way out. In fact, you hurt yourself and polluted your wrists with blood. You gave up. The henchmen mumbled and awaited their boss. Joe started a speech. He advised his men to wait for the next morning.

"It's not necessary to try right away, don't you think?", he said in his calm tone of voice: "Now you're weak and worn out."

Not everyone showed satisfaction, but no one dared raise objections. After all, you would have stayed there, a few hours would have made no difference. Len winked at one of the group, who laughed in amusement.

"She calmed down.", he said, pointing at you with a nod. "You have to see how she twists!", added Len.

One of the men looked at you and licked his lips. "Well, I like it when they fight back..."

But Joe raised his arms as if to draw attention to himself. Everyone fell silent and turned their attention to the head of the group. He looked at you out of the corner of his eye and smiled.

"Guys, please, we don't look bad, but we're not beasts."

You despised him for his ironic tone. You simply did not understand where he wanted to arrive with such an attitude. You weren't an idiot, the fact that they didn't talk about it wouldn't have improved your mood. You looked down again and rested your head on your knees. And so you closed your eyes and your now dead companion appeared in your mind. First his smile, then his body, stretched out among the flowers that you had loved so much. The same flowers that surrounded Hershel embraced this man. You couldn't understand what happened. You hadn't worked out his death yet. Everything had happened so fast. Your mind was filled with memories and images of those few weeks you spent in his company. Your confidences, smiles, laughter. He had taken you to another world, he had managed to shed some light on you. A glimmer of hope, a small glowing torch in complete darkness. And now, too, that faint flame was extinguished.