Path Of Misery

The world collapsed in you. A sting in your heart swept through you and blocked your breath for a split second. Tears began to flood your cheeks immediately and your neck contracted painfully. Beth was there, right in front of you, mutilated and soiled with her own blood. She raised her blue eyes to you and shouted apologies. Besides suffering, there was a plea for forgiveness in her iris. She felt guilty because she had left, thinking she was safe. You dropped to your knees and plunged into the arterial circulation. She had a temporary bandage, but the wound wasn't cauterized. Judging by the blood, she had lost way too much. Her skin was pale, like the moon. You put her face in your hands, tried to give her some strength and touched her cheeks, pulling her golden hair out of her face and holding her to you. As much as you tried to banish these pictures, she kept an eye on you. It was like experiencing that awful moment again. But now things would have been different. Beth, you could save her...

"You're not alone. I've found you, Beth. We came here for you, don't worry... Everything will be alright, okay?", you whispered: "Trust me."

She agreed with her eyes, she was so weak. It gave you the impression that she would lose her senses at any moment. You positioned yourself to grab her and carry her in your arms.

"Please try to stay awake..."

Beth screamed, she was sure to die soon. You took a deep breath and pulled her up. She stifled a cry and put her mouth between your neck and your shoulder.

"If you sleep, don't dare to give up. Stay with me, you understand?", you ordered gently.

She hummed a soft tune with her lips, but it was enough to make sure she wouldn't fall asleep. You were forced to walk through the forest and you knew the smell of blood would lure the walkers, but there was no other way. With every swift step, the pain in your thigh made your teeth clench. In the midst of nature, you tried to return to the point that you had marked, but no one was waiting for you. The forest was silent and you heard no shots. You dismissed the thought that something might have happened to them. Presumably they had reached the church directly or were forced to make a detour. You forced yourself on, though your arms weakened. You couldn't remember that you had so much distance from the church to the school, but the path seemed endless. Because of the pulsating and annoying pain, you went on with difficulty, and the clearing expanded more and more. You were afraid that you couldn't reach the church on time because Beth had to be taken care of immediately. Suddenly the song ended and the girl lowered her eyelids. You gently put your chin on her forehead and felt a change in temperature. Fever was rising, the wound was infected... You shook her a little, only to allow her to open her eyes again.

"I can't do it...", she apologized in a shaky voice: "I feel like I have to close my eyes."

"You can do it, you're strong, Beth! We're almost there, don't give up now!"

"Will I get a prosthesis like Daddy?", she asked with a spark of hope.

"Better.", you encouraged her.

Her voice helped you grit your teeth and to move on. If you thought about how your thigh hurts, you would change your mind, considering the pain Beth would have to have without part of her leg. Everything right now reminded you of your little sister. You could never have overcome another similar loss. This time you wouldn't have failed. You have continued on this path with this goal. After a mile you lowered yourself to go under a branch and saw the church, including some of your group, standing guard. As soon as you emerged from the green, you saw a crossbow pointed at you, which fell immediately to the ground. Daryl looked at you distraught and shocked. You looked at the others and no one dared to approach you as if they didn't want to accept this picture. You were both covered in blood, Beth's blood... After a fraction of seconds of seemingly endless minutes, Tyreese took Beth in his arms and ran in with Sam, ready to do anything. Daryl angrily hit the wall and followed the two men. Carol was statuesque as always, her facial muscles weren't tormented, but her irises gleamed. The sheriff's son and Sasha were inside, so you couldn't see their emotional reactions, unlike Michonne, who had lowered her head, but her hands clenched into fists. Rick stared motionless at the entrance to the church. You approached him and should have sat down, but at that very moment you thought of something else. The worry was too big. Without opening his mouth, he spoke as if questioning and murmured through his beard.