A Credible Excuse

The wind danced with your hair. The barren landscape seemed endless. Fields, golden expanses of wheat thorns. There was only the road you went through to break nature. The only gray and material object. Had the engine noise not been, a deep silence would have ruled undisturbed. If you see the world like that, nobody would have thought of an apocalypse. It was a place that was untouched. An ordinary part of the landscape. You had already met people who believed in the help of the government and scientific centers. But no one had found a solution. Even the army had surrendered in rescue operations. In fact, only abandoned camps remained. Being able to sit on the leather seat reminded you of various memories of the past, of memories that you still couldn't let go. Involuntarily you tightened your grip and thought of the days you spent with your family...

"The hell yer doin'?", Daryl mumbled, watching you out of the corner of his eye.

"Nothing."

He snorted and concentrated back on the road and you felt your cheeks burn. Who knows what kind of idiotic view he has of you? From that point on, you didn't move closer to his back. Unfortunately, the only rides on a motorcycle were the ones you shared with your dad. He loved driving to the mountains and riding dirt roads. The few times he was home, he always tried to spend a lot of time with you. As a kid, you were glad to be able to hug him like that for hours. You didn't realize that you hugged Daryl too hard, so you tried to think of something else. Rick had ordered you to procure new supplies of food after seeing a shop nearby. You still didn't recognize the reason, but Daryl was quite grumpy, and that made you very nervous. As soon as you saw the building, you were glad that you could stay away from him as much as possible. You entered the supermarket, confident to find a good loot. You closed the door behind you and before plundering the place, you decided to do an inspection to free it from some living dead. You heard some guttural sounds in the distance, otherwise everything seemed to be calm. With a careful step you entered two different corridors, but parallel to each other. From one shelf to the other, you could see Daryl very well, who was busy killing some Walkers. He was hunting. In the alcohol department, however, a Walker remained unnoticed. Daryl didn't see him. Since this time Rick had given you a compound-bow from the arsenal and believed in your accuracy of shooting. You pulled out an arrow and aimed carefully. It pierced the victim completely, but another arrow pierced his head. The Walker fell to the floor between a few bottles of wine.

"That's mine.", said the archer, retrieving his own arrow. He spat on the ground and resumed the hunt. You picked up your arrow too and followed him. You killed the other Walkers without batting an eyelash and now the killing had become a common, normal action. It no longer had any effect or emotion. On the contrary, it was almost boring and annoying. When the area was safe you ​​took a few bags and went shopping. Maggie and Glenn were on the other side in another small shop to get the last remaining cans. Of course, you would have taken only the bare necessities to fill the available bags. The next day, Michonne and Carl would go by car so they could get more. You saw Daryl with one arm in the middle of the shelf and throw the various cans on the bottom of the bag and some others to the ground.

"What the hell are you doing?", you asked: "You're too loud!"

He turned around, looked at you grimly and continued his activity. What an asshole... You took your bag, walked away and your way led you to the baby section. Judith needed milk powder and maybe you would find another useful item. In fact, you noticed some pacifiers and blankets in different colors. You even found a few diapers. After all, much better than a few dirty rags. Then you went to the hygiene department and filled the backpack with towels. After the shopping, you searched for Daryl. You just had to follow the various products that were lying on the floor. He checked a couple of bottles of alcohol and those who didn't seem to be good enough for him eventually broke a wall.