Chapter 7

I walk in beside Harrison into the Cortex. We notice Barry hasn't gotten there yet.

"Where's Barry? He's late."

"Late is kind of his signature move." I say knowing Barry.

"Hey, you guys want to see my signature move?" Cisco says. All of a sudden Barry speeds in. We all look at him.

"Sorry, guys. I got a little held up." Barry says with a smirk. We all just keep looking at him.

"You had to be there." He says.

"I'm gonna need a moment or two alone with Barry, Scarlett. You can join if you like." Harrison says.

"Sure." I say.

Caitlin and Cisco walk out.

"Ooh, you two in trouble." Cisco says teasing.

"Now, May i remind the both of you, we had an agreement. We would help the both of yours heroics out there, while you two would help us research and develop your abilities in here, right?" Harrison says.

"Yeah, we know. I-I guess we've just gotten a little caught up with being able to help people, you know, put bad guys away. It feels good." Barry says. While I just stand there quite.

"Imagine how good it will feel to cure diseases, stop aging, reverse paralysis." Harrison says.

"All good causes. So how can we help you do that? You need more MRIs, more blood, or-."

"I need more speed."

"Okay."

"Speed is the key to progress. You two need to kick it up a notch."

Barry's phone rings.

"There was a homicide. I'm sorry, we've got to go." Barry says looking at me. Barry walks out to check his phone. I go up to Harrison.

"Sorry, I've gotta run." I say before kissing his cheek.

-

We get to the scene and Barry uncovers the body. We look at it with horror. Joe and Eddie come up be hide us.

"I hope you both skipped your breakfast." I say.

"Whoa." Joe says.

"What the hell could do that?" Eddie asks.

"2,400 degrees, give or take." Barry responds.

"This area's filled with combustibles. How come nothing else burned up? Where you going?" Joe says. Barry starts to climb a ladder.

"You see the soot in the ground where the cement is brunt?"

"Yeah." Joe and I say.

"That's evidence of arc blasts. Happens when high-amperage currents travel or arc through the air." Barry says.

"There's no live wires. There's no utility poles." I say.