chapter 15

POV: 3rd person
Shadow and Mephiles stood across from each other. Shadow growled at him and Mephiles growled back.

"You're so dead." Shadow narrowed my eyes at him.

"You really think you can kill me?" Mephiles chuckled.

"I'm sure I can." Shadow launched at him. He ran passed the other and threw a chaos spear at his opponent. Mephiles didn't have the time to dodge such an attack and got hit.

I need a weapon to be able to kill him, Shadow thought. I'm sure there is something I can use in his house.

Shadow dashed to Mephiles' house and looked through the kitchen where he found a suitable knife to kill with.

"You shouldn't let your guard down." Mephiles said and grabbed Shadow's throat, making him gasp for air. Shadow stabbed Mephiles in the stomach which made the other let go of him. I dashed out of the house to get Mephiles away from the others. This was a fight between them. Mephiles held his wound for a few seconds before he growled and went after Shadow. One of his tentacles wrapped around Shadow's ankle and lifted him into the air before smashing him into the ground, letting him drop the knife. He groaned and got back up only to be tackled to the ground. Mephiles hit him in the head multiple times. "You're pathetic." He said and started to choke the other.

"... I don't... think so..." Shadow grabbed the knife and with a quick hand movement, he sliced Mephiles' throat open. Mephiles held his throat and rolled off the other as a huge amount of blood came out from the cut that was just made. Shadow gasped and sat up and just watched the other slowly die.

"You... You bastard..." Mephiles said before he stopped breathing.

POV: Shadow
I got up and dropped the bloody knife next to Mephiles' dead body.

It's over. Sonic will be safe from him forever.

"Shadow..." The others were here.

"It's done. He's dead." I said and started walking to my house. I needed to make sure Sonic was fine.

"Where are you going?" Sally asked.

"Home. To Sonic." I answered.

"Can we come with you? Please." Tails asked as he looked at me with pleading eyes. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Fine."

———

We finally arrived at my house. I walked in and the others followed me.

"Oh sweetie! You're home!" My mom came from the stairs and hugged me. "You're covered in blood. Are you okay?" She asked concerned as he held me by my shoulders.

"I'm fine mom, it isn't my blood. Where is Sonic? Is he okay?" I replied.

"He's in your room. I gave him a bath and looked for any wounds, but besides the bruises on his wrists, he was fine." My mom answered. "And who are they?"

"They're friends of Sonic. They haven't seen him in years so I let them come. I hope you're okay with that." I said.

"Of course. I don't mind." My mom said. I nodded and went upstairs as I motioned the others to follow.

"Halt!" My little brother was guarding the door to my room. "You shall not pass." He said. I chuckled and pushed him aside before going into my room. Sonic was asleep in my bed, sleeping peacefully. Rouge was with him, keeping an eye on him.

"You're back." She said when she noticed us. "Did you... kill him?" She asked and I nodded.

"Can you leave us alone for a while?" I asked. She and the others left. I sat down next to Sonic and kissed his forehead. "I took care of him. You're safe now. I promised I would protect you but I still let this happen. I'm sorry, I really am." I gently caressed his quills, making him smile and purr in his sleep. "I will let you sleep now." I said and kissed his forehead one last time before leaving the room so he could get his well-deserved rest.

"How is he doing?" Tails asked who had been waiting outside the door.

"He's fine. He just needs a lot of rest." I answered.

"When can I see him?" He asked.

"When he wakes up." I told him. He nodded.

"Sweetie, it's better if you go take a shower." My mom said as she walked up to us.

"I guess you're right." I said.

"You can come with me Tails. I have snacks and drinks for you and the others. You deserve it after such a fight." My mom said and took Stripes' hand before going downstairs with him and Tails. I went to take a shower and got all the blood off me before I went downstairs to enjoy the snacks and drinks.