So Close, So Far

The small white haired child lay on the bed that Aizen had prepared for him. As he began to wake up he began to toss and turn. He finally pushed away the light sheet that had covered him and sat up. His eyes were directed at the foot of his bed and he stared off into space. His eyes were slightly glazed over. Eventually though he stood up and changed into a clean set of clothing and picked up a bag.

He then walked down the stares where Ulquiorra met him in the small cart in order to take Toshiro to the fake classroom. The Espada's eyes took in the boy's posture and lack of paying attention but brushed it off as simply being part of Aizen's plan. Eventually though the boy went up to the classroom area and Ulquiorra headed to a room that monitored the boy's activity. A few fake classmates where in the room in case of

Aizen sat in a chair watching the situation carefully with a one sided headphone in his ear. The boy headed to the classroom and paused at the desk and simply stared. Ulquiorra didn't question what he couldn't see but what the boy could. Despite this Aizen spoke up. "I'm having the students at school bully him. They wrote some things on the desk that are going to hurt his feelings. They are also going to say some things he won't like. I wish to see his reactions."

The man watched over the screens as Toshiro remained staring at the desk, his teal eyes wide. The boy glanced slightly to the side as he listened to the fake classmates. The boy's chin trembled suddenly and he turned to walk away. His movements were stiff and slow. The boy paused for a few minutes before turning to a voice. However, after mouthing something to the screen he turned to try and leave again.

Aizen spoke into the microphone. "Throw something at him." There was a pause of a few seconds. "Throw something at him."

A strange object went flying at the back of his head. The boy paused for a few minutes but continued to walk away. Aizen kept a calm look on his face. "Ulquiorra... which direction is Toshiro heading in?"

"He's heading towards the substitute soul reaper." The pale faced male spoke up.

"Here is what I want you to do."

M

A small figure walked through the halls of the fortress with a glazed look over his eyes. It was rather obvious that he didn't know where he was going but he simply kept walking. Eventually he came to an entrance and stepped out into a bigger room where two people were talking. Under normal circumstances he would have heard the "It can't be," that was said.

However, his ears couldn't hear what was going on around him or see what was really going on. The substitute shinigami was staring at him. "Toshiro?"

The small shinigami didn't react to what he said and simply looked around the area and thus Ichigo found himself speaking up again. "Toshiro... if you're a captive why are you being allowed to walk around?"

A small figure that Toshiro didn't know peeked over the male's shoulder. "Nel doesn't think that he can hear you."

"This doesn't mean I can't get through to him. There has to be some way that he knows that I'm here." Ichigo stretched his hand out towards Toshiro just as the boy turned to look straight at him. "Come on Toshiro, take my hand so we can get out of here."

The substitute shinigami's frown deepened upon seeing the glazed look in the boy's eye. This changed to a smile as Toshiro slowly reached out to touch his hand. The fingers inched closer as a familiar reiatsu came closer and Ulquiorra suddenly appeared behind the small boy. The man didn't move his mouth but Toshiro suddenly found himself distracted.

Turning towards the Espada Toshiro opened his mouth. "Kurosaki?"

"Toshiro! I'm over here!" Ichigo's eyes widen as the small hand was withdrawn.

Ulquiorra spoke up with a calm look on his face. "He can't hear you, he can't see you. He is trapped in one of Lord Aizen's illusions."

"Blackouts?" Toshiro muttered, the look on his face not trusting what he thought Ulquiorra was telling him.

"Then I just have to break him out of it." The orange haired teen began to move forward

Toshiro then said something to Ulquiorra as the man grabbed his wrist. "You're not the real Kurosaki."

A small hand reached towards Ichigo's again. "He knows I'm here despite not being able to see and hear me."

A blur came hurting out of nowhere from Toshiro's side as Ulquiorra moved to push the boy to the ground and out of the way. The person hit Ichigo in the chest and a pain shot through that area. He also felt Nel get knocked off. Upon recognizing the person attacking him he spoke up. "Grimmjow..."

Ichigo took a quick glance over at the small shinigami. Two teal eyes looked right at him. The orbs were wide and the look Toshiro gave him told Ichigo bothered him. He couldn't figure out what the boy was feeling. "But..."

"Don't look away from your opponent Kurosaki!" The feline Arrancar launched a punch right at Ichigo. The next thing he knew Toshiro was going with Ulquiorra and he was fighting full on with the Arrancar.

"Why! Why did this happen! I was so close to rescuing Toshiro and getting him out of here!"

"You should know by now things aren't that easy Ichigo. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a second one to come fight you if this one doesn't stall you enough."