Taking a Beating

• Dedicated to The Ultimate Fanfic Challenge 200 Prompts

The two got out at a gated community and then headed up to an apartment, the man dragging Toshiro along with him, the boy's eyes cold with distance. But then, wasn't that how Aizen expected him to be, distancing himself from this world? Wasn't that the role he was meant to play in this illusion. If it was an illusion at all.

The man opened the door and pushed the boy in. Glancing around, the apartment didn't seem like the kind a woman with a drug problem would actually have. Everything was way to nice an pristine. The boy dropped his bad onto the couch, only to hear a coughing sound from the man. "You know very well that isn't where your bag goes."

Hitsugaya turned around, anger in his eyes at the perfection the man tried to implement on him. Well, truth was, normally the boy would strive for perfection in his own life back in Soul Society, but he found himself simply not caring. He picked up the bag, and set it down by the door. "Is this where it is supposed to go when I'm not studying? Because I honestly can't remember."

"It goes by your desk in your room." The man snapped at the boy. Letting out a deep sigh, Toshiro picked up the bag and then carried it to his room, or where he thought his room was. The first door he opened happened to belong to the bathroom. The second door happened to belong to his fake father, as there was no desk. Finally though, he opened up his bedroom and walked in to the desk, dropping his bag on the floor by the desk.

Glancing at the table, it was completely cluttered, and Toshiro's instinct went to instantly straightening it up. As he did, his hand touched the picture on the desk and he picked it up. Picking up the picture, he noticed that there was a picture of him at a very young age and Aizen and another person. In the picture, Toshiro was smiling, as was Aizen. However, the other person was completely scratched out.

The boy set it down with a click. "Nice job of making me think I have a mental problem. In this illusion, he goes and makes me think I have a problem with both him, and my own mother. That way, there aren't any pictures around to explain why he is the way he is."

Aizen suddenly called from the other room, and Toshiro got up and walked over, his mouth pressed tight, not wanting to actually deal with the man. He slipped into a seated position on the couch. "Why is it that you and I have different last names? Weren't you married to my mother, or was she was your play thing just like Momo was?"

A clicking sound of a knife on a cutting board suddenly stopped, the man suddenly looking up. "I've been married twice, both ended in divorce. When your mother divorced me, she decided to change both of your names legally. Does this make any sense at all?"

Hitsugaya found himself gripping the edge of the couch, his frustration growing. "That speaks worlds about you, you know."

"I think we need to talk about this accusation of yours that Momo is a play thing to me." The man spoke up. "Did you get that from Momo-chan herself, or did you get it from that mother of hers?"

Suddenly, two teal eyes went wide, and then the boy found his teeth gritting together. He stood up onto his knees, turning around to glare at the man. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"First off, don't sit on the couch like that, it is very improper Toshiro." The man stated, pointing the knife at the boy. "I'm talking about your half-sister, Aizen Momo. The one who decided to make false accusations against me."

Toshiro turned around, suddenly wrapping his arms across his chest, his face becoming pale and green at the same time. While he tended to be very innocent and naive about things, he could only think of one thing that a person would accuse another person of. He also pulled his legs up to his chest in frustration. "If this world is real, I understand fully why I wanted to escape it."

"Don't go thinking that this world is real. I remember the feelings of the other world just as much as you do." The dragon stated firmly, listening to the child worry, and for good reason.

"I don't understand why Aizen wants to select me to do this kind of crap too." The boy thought, glancing up as a sizzling sound could be heard from the kitchen area. Suddenly, his stomach grumbled and he stood up, heading over to where Aizen was cooking some food. His stomach grumbled loudly, causing the man to glance up.

"I'll be finished with dinner soon." The man simply glanced down at the skillet.

Two cheeks suddenly puffed out as Toshiro's mind tried to comprehend the new world they were in. "I'm not hungry."

There came a resounding smack across the face as Aizen back handed him again. "You'll eat dinner Hitsugaya Toshiro because I say so. Otherwise you go hungry."

The white haired boy glanced at the ground, frustration pouring over his face. "No wonder I hate this world. You're abusive."

Cold eyes suddenly peered at the boy, causing Toshiro to jump suddenly, not liking the man's gaze. "Are you going to make accusations just like your sister did?"

"You've hit me across the face twice already! What am I to think!" The boy stated, frowning at the man, trying his best to be defiant, but truth was... there was that fear.

"I don't normally hit you like this. Normally, I just ground you and it is fine. But lately you've been acting strange." The man stated.

"I don't remember anything before today except that imaginary world, or that world everyone is trying to tell me is imaginary. What am I supposed to think? I mean, it took me a few tries to find my own room. I don't know my way around this place, I don't know where everything is. Normally, wouldn't a parent be noticing that something was seriously wrong? Because to be honest, if this world is real, then I'll honestly admit that there is something wrong with me."

The man stared at the boy, and then his expression suddenly softened. "I blame your mother, you know. She had what is called postpartum depression, and it effected a lot of things. Before that happened, she was an amazing woman." The man nodded to the table. "Go and sit down."

Suddenly, Toshiro felt guilty for some strange reason, and his body moved over to the table. "What if this is real?"

"Then I would be an imaginary friend. I am here Hitsugaya." The dragon stated. "I do suggest going with the flow for awhile, to figure out things."

"He's expecting me to be a trouble child though, so I'll need to work that into part of the flow. I mean, if this is just an illusion, then he will expect me not to comply to this being reality right away."

Aizen stepped over with two plates of food, setting one down in front of the boy and one in front of himself. "Here is your pretend food. I am sure though it will give you substance, so go ahead and eat."

Two bright teal eyes suddenly blinked. "Keeping up the pretense that I am a child that believes he isn't part of this world is going to be easy."

"Don't get cocky." The dragon hummed, causing Toshiro to let out a deep sigh.