"Carter, everybody gives Kat crap so it's nothing different." Carter's eyes narrowed into little slits, his mouth set into a neutral line. I tried not to look surprised and managed to keep my face emotionless as Jenna continued. "I'll carry on seeing him and yes, I'll be careful, promise."

I rolled my lip into my mouth, looking down at my jean clad thighs. Carter sighed, shaking his dark blue mop. He didn't look too happy, he had his teeth skimming his lower lip, bringing his piercing into his mouth before quickly letting it go.

"Surely there isn't anyone else that you could date?" Carter pushed and Jenna groaned, falling back onto the grass with her head in her hands.

"Would you get over it, please? My dad is at home, don't start continuing from his speech last night. I can date who I want. Everyone gives Kat shit, it's kind of a routine now, she should be used to it. You're just jealous that I can go on a date and maybe get a boyfriend out of it," she seethed, sitting back up with fire dancing around in her eyes. I was speechless and so was Carter, his eyes wide with surprise.

"I am used to it but it doesn't mean that I enjoy being ridiculed," I hissed, getting to my feet and walking away before I said anything that I'd regret.

Hearing things like that were like a stab in the gut. I got that Jenna was annoyed and I didn't really care who she dated as long as they didn't hurt her, but she had never said anything like that. It had been two weeks and she was already fed up with me, ready to ditch me just because something stupid had happened.

I walked over to the other field, where Eli was sitting with Scrabble. Scrabble had been dropped off two days before, just as Eli and I had arrived back from going into the village. I'd helped Eli sponge him down and get him settled in with Tempest and he'd gotten along pretty well with her.

"You alright?" Eli snapped me out of my admiring gaze by walking over and leaning on the fence beside me, studying my face with a concerned expression.

"I'm fine," I dismissed and Eli chuckled.

"You're not but I'll go with it. I need to get used to the surroundings and Scrabble's getting a little restless, fancy going on hack later?" he asked. I looked at him properly then, his calm and trusting eyes and small smile.

"Sure, we can go now if you like,"I replied with a shrug and he nodded with a grin.

"Meet me back here in a couple minutes, then." I nodded, turning on my heels to go and tack Harley. He was following me into the stall to begin with, nuzzling the backs of my knees. I smiled, reaching back and grabbing his halter, bringing his face level with mine.

His deep chocolate eyes looked back at me, trusting as I took the bridle from the peg and slipped it over his head, putting the bit into his mouth. He threw his head back, moving away when I reached for the saddle rug. He was always a pain in the backside when you tried to saddle him, he liked being ridden bareback, but it wasn't any good for the woods.

"Stop it, come on," I said wih a grin, slipping the rug onto his back and holding him still. His hoof hit the floor with a bang in reluctance when I leaned down to tighten the girth. Reaching into my pocket, I offered him a polo was a reward. He took it from my palm eagerly, his soft lips tickling my skin.

Harley followed me out until I grabbed the saddle and putting my foot into the stirrup. After swinging up onto his back, I sighed. Harley was fidgeting beneath me, eager to go and his sides were moving slightly with his gentle breaths. I smiled, patting his neck before taking his reins into my hands.

"Kat!" Harley urged backwards, distress running its course through his body. I leaned forward and soothed his neck, running my fingers along the area under his mane, calming him a little.