Chapter 45

"I'm going to stand outside," Soos declared.

"We're climbing a cliff," deadpanned Wendy.

"I'm going to stand outside, so if anyone asks ..." A pause. "I'm outstanding! Get it? Outstanding? 'Cause I'm out and standing - pfffahahh!"

Wendy banged her head to a nearby rock.

For the past few hours, Soos has been telling her multiple jokes that she swore were killing her mind. She turned down the urge to bang her head twice against the cliff, worried that it would collapse upon her. She love being alive, thank you very much.

Speaking of the cliff, it was a bizarre floating one surrounding the town like a looming creature of abnormality. It had a huge gaping hole in the middle of the cliff, the hole bearing a great resemblance to an UFO.

Using her free hand, she wiped the sweat off her face. Her eyes landed on the pink bubble of raving energy with a shooting star lock around it.

Mabel . . . Wendy frowned. She hoped the little girl was safe and sound in that bubble. And not gone either.

When they went to get Dipper from the jail, they found the jail destroyed beyond recognition. Refusing to believe the boy she grew fond of was gone, she had frantically searched the place, only to be dragged away by the handyman. Wendy was furious at first, but the fire died down when the truth sank in. Dipper was gone. At least for now, Wendy thought. She was never going to give up on him.

So instead of searching for any traces of Dipper (which was a hopeless case anyway as everything was destroyed), Wendy and Soos decided to get Mabel back first.

They had believed – they still believe – that it would be an easy task, but Wendy was beginning to have some doubts.

'Hang in there Mabel', she thought. 'We're coming.' Wendy clasped her hand around another rock and pushed herself up. She scrunched her face in pain. A sharp rock had just scraped her fingers. Oh gosh, it was bleeding.

Focus, Wendy. You got this. Be strong. Dipper and Mabel need you. They need you.

Suppressing a whimper, she continued climbing.

The wind blew, carrying the screams of the Gravity Falls locals along with it.

"I can smell ANGST from here," Soos shouted from below, "and I think you're the source of the smell!"

Oh, dang it. She hated when he was observant and smart ... and right.

"And it smells like durian pizza!"

Wendy rolled her eyes and waited for the scientific explanation (as to how it's impossible to even smell the angst) before realizing that he wasn't here with them. Dipper wasn't here. He was gone.

Guilt washed over her.

If they had come earlier to the jail to get Dipper, he would not be gone like the rest of the criminals. But alas, fate did not work like that. The jail was abandoned and no living souls were seen.

Fortunately, they knew where Mabel was though. She was still there in her little bubble of unknown ... bubbleness. (Wendy was aware the word is not in the dictionary. The world was ending; she doesn't give a duck). So it was safe to say, Wendy and Soos could definitely save Mabel.