Chapter 8

Pacifica was organizing her wardrobe when all of a sudden, the mansion started to crumble and burn to crisps.

The force knocked her over and she crash landed on the floor, all bruised. Pacifica groaned painfully. Her nails were all broken! Her hair was all messed up!

Pacifica was struggling to breathe properly. Smoke began to fill the room, and she was finding it hard to even talk.

Pacifica's parents were out on a business trip, so they will not be coming until next week.

She gasped for more air.

Perhaps it was a kitchen fire. But no kitchen fires had blue flames and such a big force that could knock people over...

She ran to the Great Room and found a dark familiar figure standing in the center of the room, engulfed with blue flames. His hands were outstretched and he had a troubling expression on his face.

The boy was Dipper.

Pacifica could not believe it. Yet there he was, standing there unscathed from the fire. She hid behind a large cabinet and took a peek. Dipper Pines. He did not look the same.

There were cryptic words and hieroglyphics on both of his arms that were glowing eerily. His eyes were gold - not the soft brown eyes that seemed to melt every time he saw her.

He didn't seem to notice her nor the flames.
What was going on?

"Dipper?"

•••

"I am insane." Dipper grinned.

Pacifica was thoroughly shocked and did not utter a word when the boy before her started to laugh. The flames died down gradually, but he was still in his crazed state.

Suddenly, two men came storming in, both holding guns. A man showed her his ID card and said, "Agent Powers and Triggers here. We're here to arrest the boy who burnt the Northwest Mansion. Move! Move! Move!"

More men came behind him and ran to Dipper. They handcuffed him and pushed him to the Government Car. The men looked down at the handcuffed boy in distaste. Dipper, on the other hand, simply grinned at them like a Cheshire Cat.

"What are you going to do to him?" Pacifica asked, concerned. "He's not a juvenile delinquent!"

"You don't know the laws," replied the agent with the mustache, "and we would not tell you of what we intend to do with the boy here."

Pacifica, to no avail, watched the agents dragged Dipper to the unknown.

•••

Watching the new episode of Ducktective did not help any matters, for Mabel was miserable. Incredibly miserable. Her brother did not return and she did not know if he was still in the forest or not.

She knew Stan wanted to lift her mood, but watching a duck trying to negotiate with a criminal mastermind was boring. The duck can't win him over - its deductive skills were barely nonexistent.

Where are you, Dipper?

Yesterday, Great Uncle Ford had gone out to search him, but luck did not follow him. Ever since then, he locked himself in his basement, and swore not to come out until he could invent a device that could track down his nephew.

She heard knocking on their door. Who could possibly be here at this time of the day? Grudgingly, Mabel walked to the door and opened it, finding herself facing her friend, Pacifica.

Pacifica looked like she has seen better days.

"Mabel," Pacifica cried. "You have to help me! Your twin - "

"Hot Belgium Waffles!" yelled Stan, pointing at the TV screen. It showed the Breaking news by Shandra the News Reporter. "It's him!"

Frantically, Mabel ran to her Grunkle's side. "What do you mean ... oh!"

"Northwest Mansion was burnt few minutes ago," reported Shandra. "The Mayor is refusing to leave a comment, and so far, we have received no reports on the culprit."

Mabel glanced at Pacifica, whose face was getting more pale as the reporter went on.

"Thankfully, there are no reported missing cases or deaths. One middle-aged woman was injured however, and was immediately sent to the nearby hospital. We have questioned Pacifica Northwest, the only witness of the scene. Let us watch the clip."

The screen showed Pacifica in her damaged room.

"Miss Northwest, do you know who caused the fire that destroyed your home? Miss Northwest? Miss! Where are you going?"

It was back to Shandra. "It appears as if we have lost contact with Pacifica Northwest. If you are watching this channel right now, Miss Northwest, please answer the question. Do you know who burnt your house?"

"That's over for tonight. We will be back soon with more details. This was Gravity Falls News."

The screen shifted to a soap opera.

"Pacifica," Mabel started. "Did you see who -"

"It was Dipper." Pacifica frowned. "I saw him do it. And he's caught by the Government Agents a-and he is currently residing in the Gravity Falls Maximum Security Prison."

"But that's where the criminals who committed the most foul crimes go!" shouted Stan, visibly disturbed by the news. "Are you sure it's him?"

"I saw him with my own eyes."

Mabel stared at her friend in disbelief. What have you done, Dipper?

•••
[edited]