Chapter 39

Previously...
You went to the Mystery Shack and found the Mission paper Mabel made. You followed Mabel down to Ford's underground laboratory and saw her taking the globe (rift) with her. On your way home, you received a phone call, telling you that you were being written in a chapter. Then you saw a black car near your house, and the next thing you knew . . . you've finally reached it.

• • •

Hello listeners.

You may have been wondering what all the fuss was about yesterday night. Yesterday night, a person had been murdered by an unknown person. According to an eyewitness in Star Alley, a gunshot was heard at around midnight. The murderer had escaped when the eye witness approached the scene. The corpse is not identified yet, for it was covered with dirt. We could not tell the gender or the age.

We are not sure of the motives for this crime yet, but we assure you that he would come again.
Lock all your doors and close your windows. Hide your cat in a secret place where no humans can trespass.
You never know when you'll die.

Now let us move onto much more exciting news: The Duchess Approves Season 7 is on the making now!

* * *

The last person she ever expected to meet was Gabe, in the middle of the forest no less! His golden hair flowing loose behind, he was working on his broken pink scooter. A small tire was beside him and Mabel could see gears turning in his head.

"Gabe?" Mabel asked, staring at him in disbelief.

The said teenager turned around, beaming as he did so, which strike her strange. They only met briefly, she recalled. And last time they had met, he was totally making out with his puppets. She shuddered. Not to mention devastated at me for "abusing the puppets".

"Mabel! I didn't expect to see you here!" Neither did I. "Can you give me a hand? Dear Mary has hurt herself real bad."

Oh how I wanted to slap his beautiful face and stuff his puppets into his mouth and ---

"Please. And after that maybe you could join me for biscotti?"

Scoffing, Mabel sat beside him, putting the globe beside her and watched him trying to put the tire back to its place. He was still wearing his favorite black outfit with a headset, but he did not have his usual bee puppet with him. She never saw him without his books or his puppets. He wore shades over his eyes. Something was definitely fishy, but she decided it was not a big issue.

He wiped his forehead with his sleeves even though there were no dripping droplets of sweat, and grinned at her. However his eyes wandered upon the globe.

"Mabel? What's that?"

Shoot.

"Oh it's a globe I got from the Shack."

She was surprised at how easy that lie came out from her mouth, as if it was a second nature to her. Lies. That was what it caused all of this in the first place. Mabel groaned.

"Can I see it?"

Mabel picked up the globe and forced out a chuckle. "Umm, you see, this belongs to my ---"

However, before she could even finish her sentence, Gabe snatched it away from her, giggling madly as he did so. His shades fell, revealing familiar bright golden cat eyes.

Gabe was possessed.

For the first time ever in her life, she muttered a curse.

Why was all this happening to her? Did she do something wrong in her life? Oh, if she could have gone back time before she burnt the journal . . .

Staring at the globe in Gabe - no, Bill Gabe? Babe? Babe's hand, Mabel forced down a lump in her throat. Her fear grew as she noticed his too-wide grin widening.

"Ring around the rosy."

Babe began, his head titling to the side. His eerie voice rang around the forest.

Not wanting to know why in the world Babe was singing a nursery rhyme, Mabel hurriedly put her in hands into her pocket, rummaging through for her only weapon - Glitter.

"A pocket full of posies."

She felt the voice coming closer. She had to be fast, if only she could . . .

"Ashes, ashes."

Lipsticks.
Pens.
Stickers.

Where was the glitter?

The shadow was growing closer, slowly towering above her. There was no time. She needed more time! Damn, she should have been more organized like her brother!

"We all fall down."

... And she fell.

• • •

Hello.
And thanks for 52.8k views, 2.63k votes and 1.36k comments! We've passed the goal!! I never thought this fanfiction will get so much love from you!

NOTE: I was inspired by the nursery rhyme when we were learning about the Black Death at school.

Goal: 54k views, 3k votes, 2k comments

Posted: 2017. 5. 13