Chapter 42

Previously...
Dipper regains his memories and finally remembers all the blurry faces and their encounters ... but does he really remember everything?

One must always look for loopholes when they make a deal, for you never know if they speak the truth. Dipper will learn this the hard way.

•••

She couldn't stand it.

That look he had on his face.
That tone he spoke with to the boy.
That eye with obvious mirth.

The two have been playing chess for a while now, and the thought of resting never seemed to cross their minds.

Chess. Pyronica had no idea why Bill was so interested in a game invented by the three-dimensional flesh-bags. The rules all seemed pointless to her. The pieces were ridiculous too! Pawns, bishops, kings and queens... She would rather play a real game where you could actually defeat the kings and queens.

The time spent on chess could also be used on something more beneficial instead ... like conquering planets. Planet Oogandak sounded lovely. They produce Venyx, a rare plant rumored to have great medical properties. Planet Alwamz was another good option. That planet was said to own lots of ---

Ugh. 
She got sidetracked again.

Pyronica wanted to slap herself for being so easily distracted.

The boy, she reminded herself. Focus on the boy. He's a threat. He's a threat. He's a threat. Someone had to save the rest of the demons. Someone had to.

Ignoring the looks sent at her, she marched her way up. "Bill," she called out.

"Ah, Pyronica," said Bill. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

His nonchalant matter did not go unnoticed.

Pyronica bit her lips. Deciding that this could not end like this, Pyronica tried again and received the same reply. He was trying to sub to avoid the conversation!

She clenched her fists when she noticed a triumphant smirk on the boy's face, seemingly satisfied. Satisfied at her uneasiness?! Anger began to rise up in her chest. How dare he mock her?!

"Bill," called out Pyronica once again, this time more determined than ever. "I seek answers."

Truth be told, she didn't expect her request to sound so demanding. She hoped he didn't take it as an act of mutiny.

"Oh?" Apparently, her demand had caught his attention. "Answers to what?"

"Answers to the questions we demons have been burning to ask you - yes, some are literally burning - and I hope you could tell us the truth."

The truth!
The truth!

Those two words were whispered across the room. As it turned out, the rest of the demons had been paying attention to their conversation. Knowing this, she must choose her next words carefully now that they were listening. One careless mistake could end everything.

"Ask me then," Bill challenged. He was now completely ignoring his chess game.

"Why are you playing chess," she spat the last word in disgust. "with a human? A human who is a Pines? Why are you keeping him under our roof? And when will you take us out of Gravity Falls, like you have promised?"

The rest of the demons gasped at what she said. Yet, she was not finished.

"If the boy's on our side, I'm totally OK with it. But if he's not and you're merely playing him, then as your advisor, I strongly advise you to remove him as soon as possible. His presence is a threat to us, for any actions of his could thwart our plans."

As soon as she finished, silence fell. Her body tensed up. The demons behind her didn't dare to breathe. It was a suffocating silence.

Bill floated quietly up to his throne and sat down. He narrowed his eye at the cowering demons.

"LISTEN HERE YOU DEMONS,"he boomed. "PINE TREE IS MINE!"

Pyronica gaped. The boy was his?

"... AND REMEMBER YOUR RULES OR FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES."

Ah! The rules!
According to the Rules Of Cipher, they couldn't attempt or do anything to Bill's property (which includes the boy) without his permission. This meant that what she had done few minutes ago, nearly broke this rule without knowing it. She shuddered at the thought of the consequences.

After a stunned silence, whispers broke out.

Who was the boy?
Why was he declared his?
What had he done to receive this much honor?
Pine tree, pine tree, pine tree, pine tree.
What's going to happen to Pyronica?
What will happen?

They all turned to look at the said boy and were surprised to find him unaware of the chaos. Pine Tree was still focusing on the chess.

The demons looked at each other and nodded at their unspoken mutual agreement. They didn't want to get involved in Bill's plans for the boy. Pyronica agreed too.

So they kept on partying.

Ignorance is bliss.

...

HELLO,
I'm back!

Yes, I am really back.
The hiatus is over for now.
Exams are a nightmare.
Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold, b ----

*cough*
Hello, readers.
I have no idea what just came over me.
Okay, enough of that...
THANK YOU ALL!
THANK YOU ALL FOR WAITING PATIENTLY FOR THIS CHAPTER!!

I overcame a huge writer's block this year and tried my best to squeeze out time to write this chapter. I was unsatisfied with the first two drafts, so I had to rewrite it. For some people, I have promised that I would update soon or in a month. I was going to, but the chapter wasn't lengthy enough yet.
This chapter's a bit of a filler.

And as you've all probably noticed, I made a new cover!

I've changed the plot as well. My mind kept brainstorming when I wrote the earlier chapters, which resulted in lots of unexpected plot twists to the original. Now that I've worked out the basic outline, things will go smoothly. I'm still working on the blurb though ...

Another thing you've probably noticed too, is that the writing style may be different from the first few chapters. I decided to just leave it like that for now, so that I can see the development of the story and the improvement I made.

And once again, THANK YOU ALL!!!
THIS STORY HAS NEARLY 80k VIEWS!
YOU GUYS ARE FANTASTIC!

Questions:
1. How was the chapter?
2. What do you think will happen next?

Posted: 2018.3.17

P.S.
Back when I was contemplating on how to continue the previous chapter, my friend took away my laptop and wrote some for me, which, might I add, were really imaginative?? Her story involved in Dipper seeing a blue Mabel and punching her in the face.

Let's ... let's just forget about that.