8 - Benny and Nina

Slowly people were being cut from the audition from the dancing. It was such a key part of the show so was the first part. It turns out after the struggle last time of teaching the principles to dance, they wanted dancers who could sing, not singers who could try to dance. The room was cut to 14 of us, 7 girls and 7 boys. Each day there were two auditions, Morning and afternoon and they were running for five days. So we were the very last audition.

"Okay. You were all asked to prepare one song not from the show and then learn three sections from the show." All the girls were asked to learn When You're Home and a verse of It Won't Be Long Now. The boys were asked to learn Benny's Dispatch and When You're Home. Everyone then had to learn the chorus for the opening number. "So you can all head out and we will call you in two at a time to go through When You're Home. First up will be Carlo and Lexi." We left the room and waited to be called. After one hour we were sent in, being last.

"Becky, can you do It Won't Be Long Now, first." Alex asked. I nodded and took my position as Nino sat in the seat. I sang the song but fluffed up the end. I took a deep breath to compose myself. Nino then sang
the start of Benny's Dispatch and Lin gave me a nudge with his eyes.

"Nino keep going, Becky, join in." I jumped up and sang Nina's lines. I saw Lin smiling widely at me and I just continued on. I think I got the 'hello' part perfect, so that hopefully made up for the mistake of made earlier. We finished the song and smiled at one another. He gave me a hug and I returned it before giggling lightly. When we pulled apart we stood there awkwardly waiting for instruction and had to watch the guys talk. Once they were done they made us run though When You're Home and both of our individual songs. I sang 'The Wizard and I' from Wicked. It was one of my favourite songs from the show and showed my low range as well as the high I'd shown in the other three songs. It was also perfect for putting action skills in as well. Nino then sang 'Waving Through A Window' from Dear Evan Hansen and my heart melted. He was such an incredible singer and I really hoped he got a part. We were then sent out and I pulled him to one side.

"You were incredible. I've never heard anyone sing that song like that and I've seen that show loads."

"Thanks, I'd have to say the same about you. I did Wicked in Collage and you you have topped our Elphaba with that performance."

"Thanks." I felt my face burning up, I knew I was blushing a lot. "You're so cute when you blush."

"Nooo." I covered my face and shook my head before finding his arm around my shoulders.

"Could I have your number Bec...."

"Would you all like to come back in." I heard Lin yell.

"Yeah, lets just finish off this audition first." He nodded and we headed in. We all sang through the choruses of the opening number and then Lin wrapped up the audition. It was now 6pm and I was ready to go home.

"You will get a call in the next few days by Sunday night if we want you to come in on Monday for a call back. We will then start casting. Thank you all for coming today and we look forward to seeing some of you on Monday. We all thanked the crew and then we headed out. Nino and I exchanged numbers and went our separate ways. I got the subway Home.