14

Percy stood up, putting an arm protectively around Annabeth's waist. He slipped the ring box back into his pocket, face stoic and cold. "Luke."

Luke ignored him, looking to Annabeth, his eyes raking up and down her body. "Annabeth. Dam, you look good... You finally got your wish to come here." Then he laughed. "How much did it cost you two?"

"Nothing." Percy said calmly, though his grip on her waist tightened when Luke's eyes moved over her body.

"So you're stealing from the restaurant?" Luke laughed. "Oh, this is even better..."

"I'm not stealing anything. Did you forget that I work here?" Percy's voice got an edge to it that Annabeth didn't like. She was confused, a little scared, and definitely angry. The fanciest place Luke had ever successfully tried taking Annabeth too was McDonalds, in their several years of dating. He took Mickey to the nicest place in New York within a month of their relationship? Percy had known her all her life. He'd worked his ass off to get them a reservation, one Annabeth didn't expect him to get. Sure, she wanted to go to the restaurant, but she didn't expect to go so soon in her life.

Annabeth glared at Mickey as she slowly moved her eyes up Percy's body, a flirtatious smirk on her face. Annabeth put a hand on Percy's abdomen, jealousy creeping up her spine. Despite how much she hated Mickey, she looked gorgeous. There was no denying it... Annabeth was a little bit terrified that Mickey may try to seduce Percy next...

"Just because you work here doesn't mean you can afford a reservation, Jackson. I reserved the roof all night, so if you'll please-"

"Actually, you might want to go back and check the booking area, Luke." Percy snapped. His arm tightened protectively around her body, holding her closely. "I made sure no one else got this space until 10 o'clock."

Annabeth watched them walk away and turned to Percy, suddenly curious. "How did you afford this?" She looked up at him.

He sighed, "My boss. I told him that I was planning on proposing, and he offered to pay for the dinner as long as I covered the reservation. He made sure no one else would get to go to the roof until we were gone."

Annabeth had tears in her eyes. She couldn't believe he managed this, considering she knew for a fact that he was strapped for cash, and he refused to let her pay for any of it. She kissed him. It should have been absolutely impossible. "I love you." She mumbled softly. He hugged her tightly, crushing her body against his.

"Okay... Since my speech kind of got demolished..." He pulled the ring box back out, pressing his forehead to hers. He took in a deep breath, held it for a few seconds, before letting it out. "Will you accept my more traditional approach on this and marry me?"

He opened the ring box, and Annabeth's heart skipped a beat. It was beautiful, with an owl on it, and cut out shapes. "You really think I would say no?"

He laughed softly. "Maybe a little."

"And why would I do that?"

He shrugged. "I've got no idea... I thought that if I buttered you up with food and wine I'd get a better chance of a positive answer."

She laughed. "Well, considering the original possibility is 100%, then I think you did a good job." He laughed in relief, and she kissed him, putting her arms around his neck. He pressed her close to his body, arms around her waist, the ring box clutched tightly in his hand. When they pulled away from each other, Annabeth nuzzled Percy's nose with her own, taking the box out of his hand with one of hers. "Yes. I'll marry you, Seaweed Brain."

He picked her up and spun her around, making her laugh. He put her back on her feet again and kissed her, hands on the side of her face. When he broke away, Annabeth smiled, then frowned slightly as his eyes widened. "Shit!"