Hidden Intentions

Things back at the mansion were in pre-mission mode as Steve and Logan laid out their thoughts on how best to approach the sentinel factory - and when they saw Scott and Tony coming in - it was just a matter of running them both through it before everyone involved was suiting up to go.

"Who have you got going co-pilot?" Tony asked as they headed for the jet.

"Logan," Scott said.

Tony nodded at that. "Then I'll see you there." He gave Scott an almost manic grin. "I'll have the distractions in place when you guys get there."

"As long as you're not reprising the show you gave Jan..."

"I'd need a partner," Tony shouted back at him just as he finished getting his armor in place. "Never was too shy!" He took off before the jet was even loaded, which just had the whole group going shaking their heads at him.

But ... the mission went amazingly smoothly - even with the team giving Scott odd looks when he had them get set up with their g-suits and when they were airborne - the oxygen masks too. The group of guards never saw them coming - not until it was too late anyhow, and Tony had been sure to set them up with enough charges and munitions to take the whole building down fast, though they didn't get to see the explosion until they were well above it and looking down.

They were all settling in - enjoying the easy mission when Scott spotted the red and gold armor out of his cockpit window. "Hey, I think I might be starting to wear down. The siesta on the way here wasn't enough," Tony said through the comms to Scott. "So ... how about a race? Something easy and friendly to keep me awake?"

"If I find out you have a backdoor in here to cheat your way to a win..."

"Don't need one," Tony said. "I'm just faster. Probably." He banked out far enough that there wasn't going to be a wash issue and turned his head toward Scott. "On your mark -"

"Go," Scott shot back and simply punched it.

Tony fell back for just a moment, but in no time, he was back - and visible through the window - laughing hard. "How are they taking it?" Tony asked. And when Scott replied with a very amused sounding 'okay', Tony laughed harder, and fired his suit up just a little bit hotter, though not quite enough to go too far ahead of Scott - which was clearly a shock to both of them.

On landing, Tony was clearly out of breath and he stumbled once he was out of the armor - though to save his pride at least - the rest of the group had yet to get out of the plane, so it was in privacy. Which he was that much more grateful for when his cell phone chimed at him and he saw that the device he'd made to keep an eye out for a certain little brunette was tipping him off that she was back on terra firma. "Honey, your timing is something else," Tony muttered to himself. "Why ... when I'm wiped out ..." He was shaking his head at her timing if nothing else.

"The plane is great," Jean said. "But ... "

"We really need to be closer to it," Scott finished. "We need to find somewhere that we can have the jet in easier reach."

Tony blew out a breath at that, but nodded his head. "I've got a place with a hangar outside of Chicago," he offered. "While you're waiting for your contractors to wrap up on the damage in Westchester."

"It'd only take us a few days to get most everything moved," Jan said. "But I do like having the younger crowd close ..."

"It's probably smart to keep both groups close anyhow. If we have a government agency coming in for the mutants, they'll back down with us around - and vice versa if it's an anti-human group for us," Steve said. "That is ... if you aren't against it."