Chapter 16: The Blue Saber

Sid and Tackle flew in the air until they landed somewhere far from the Herd "Ow. Hey we're ok and thank goodness I thought I was gonna pass out with all that fighting, you know with the wolves and Manny charging into a tree" Sid got up as he stretched his body from the fall "hey come to think of it why were those wolves after you?"

Sid questioned curiously, to the Herd the reason could be hunting but to Sid he felt like it was something else. When he didn't get an answer, he realized that the young saber cub got his head stuck in a log from the landing "Oops sorry" Sid apologized a little embarrassed but what he didn't know was someone was wathing...a crow.

"Don't worry Tackle your uncle Sid will get you out" Sid tried to pry the edges of the log open to loosen the it a little. The crow landed on the log tapping on it with his beak. "Hey oh no no that's my nephew your messing with" Sid waved his hands at the crow trying to shoo it away but it pecked back at him until Sid swatted away with one hit. He looked both ways until he rested thinking the crow was good "Yep I showed that bird what Sid the sloth can do" Sid thought until....WHACK! the crowd dropped a rock on the sloth. Tackle finally got his head out and spotted Sid out cold.

"Uncle Sid?" He nudged the unconscious sloth with his paws while crow started to approach the cub. Tackle bared his saber teeth hissing while the crow inched closer but a roar came up from behind and the crow flew off spooked. Tackle's attention averted to something moving near the snow, he stared at it closely until...the snow moved! The moving figure was a saber, his fur was blueish white and it helped him blend in with the snow perfectly.

Tackle stared at him surprised to find another saber, he hid behind Sid as the stranger approached him. The saber smiled gently at the cub as he approached him "It's alright, I'm not gonna hurt you" Tackle peeked under his paws as the saber introduced himself.

Meanwhile, Buck was sniffing the ground with the others behind him "This is just great. I leave my cub with Sid and this happens" Diego told Manny sarcastically but deep down he was worried for Tackle's safety. "Relax buddy we're all worried for Tackle and will find the little guy, besides at least he's far from the wolves" Manny tried to assure him.

"The mammoth's right and...wait stop!" Buck halted them as he caught something "Oy saber come here" Diego raised an eyebrow at this but he walked to weasel "Smell here" he pointed to the snow and once Diego caught the scent his eyes widen in surprise "someone was here before us" "and they went right where the floppy green thing and...!" Buck gasped in shock as they realized something "Tackle!" The others said together in realization before running.

The blue saber's ears perked from some noises behind him, Tackle smelled the air catching a familiar scent "Mom and dad! And Manny and Buck! And the possums!" His tail wagged excited but noticed the saber thinking on what to do. He knelt down to the cub's height staring at him "come with me" the blue saber ran off and Tackle looking back to where he vanish and where the Herd was coming, finally decided to follow the blue saber.

But the crow saw the whole thing as the Herd showed up and flew off...for someone else.