Chapter 8: A Night's Talk

Nighttime fell and the sabers were having dinner from today's hunt well Tackle wasn't eating his piece, he was too nervous for tomorrow. Diego noticed his son's lack of appetite " Hey what's wrong? You barely took a bite" "I'm not hungry" the cub pushed his meat away and walked near the entrance of the den lying down. Shira noticed how down he was and walked up to her cub who wanted to avoid eye contact.

Shira smirked at her son and tickled Danny's stomach which manage to earn his attention "Mom!" Shira laughed at her son's laugh but she knew something bothered him " Alright so you gonna tell us what's bothering you?" Danny still refused and faced away making the sabers worried,Diego thought deeply about it until his ears perked in realization " Okay let me guess.Your nervous for tomorrow" he lied down near his son,since his cub's reaction from the news in the afternoon it was enough to prove where his son's nervousness came from.

"Yeah.Why can't I just be home schooled with the Herd" Danny questioned his ears down,he was close with the Herd and saw them as family always calling Manny 'uncle' and playing with the possum brothers and Sid teaching him to avoid dangers...accidentally."Well um it's just that you know your kinda short on friends Danny" Diego told him as Shira lied down next to her mate " Short on friends?" Danny cocked his head to the right confused"That Softie here means is that you have one friend"

Shira told her son flatly as the cub climbed on his dad,his ears from hearing this " What's wrong Ferry?He's my best friend and we owe him for saving me" the cub pointed out firmly feeling like his best friend was insulted,the ferret kit saved him once which was how they met and Danny had a point."Ferry's fine but having more than one friend is better" Danny got down to his mom as she wrapped her paws around him"I still feel think like your hiding something" Shira told her cub and Danny sighed,knowing he couldn't hide it much anymore.

"Ok.I'm scared to go to day camp because....""Because?""Because there's no other saber cubs like me" this answer completely caught the two sabers off guard,true Danny was the only saber cub on the island and has never made contact with any other sabers beside his parents.Danny sighed hopelessly but Diego didn't want his son like this"Hey..." He lowered his head so he can make direct contact with his son.

"True there's no saber cubs other than you but your mom and I dealt with that problem before,when kids were scared of us we weren't about starting a family but we worked it out and kids started liking us.Besides,once all those kids see you,they'll be wanting to be friends with a saber" Danny smiled excited at the thought of the kids liking him and Diego smiled at this,Shira smiled at her mate successfully restoring their son's confidence which Diego returned.Danny climbed on his mom's paws excited"Yeah,when I go to day camp tomorrow I'll go there tough,confident and not afraid" Shira nuzzled her mate,happy to see her son no longer unhappy.The saber cub yawned as he snuggled in Shira's furry chest.