Chapter Three

I didn't know what to say. Yes Jeremiah was my boyfriend but for only two weeks. I don't know if I should cry my eyes out or just go home and sit down.

I got back in the car and sat there.

"What happened? Is Jeremiah ok?". Jayla questioned me with worry in her eyes.

"I can't do this Jay". Was all I said.

"Do what?". She frowned.

"I don't want to be the next employee to get killed because my manager wants to call the police on an innocent man. I wanna be my own boss. I don't want to die because my manager is racist". I whispered.

"Well what chu gon do bout it?". I could see she was gonna get hyped for me.

"I think I'm gonna talk to Tommy". I made up my mind about what I wanted to do.

*
I dropped them off and went inside with them.

"Hey Drea". Neecey hugged me.

"I had a interview with cho lil Mrs. Jueles and I don't see how you worked fa ha". I rolled my eyes.

"Why what happened?". Neecey frowned.

"She gon tell me my hair doesn't match they commercial look. Girl bye wit all that white people mess". I vented.

"Well when I was working she ain't tell me nothing like that". Neecey shrugged knowing damn well back then and now she was and always will be the frontal queen.

I ain't say nothing.

"So where Tommy at?". I looked around.

"He in his office upstairs. He tryna find somebody to run the Kingpins cause he bout to retire". She informed me.

"Well lemme go say hey or whatever". I got up and went upstairs.

Tommy was sitting at the computer scrolling.

"Oh shit! Wassup Drea". He he got up and hugged me.

Not gone lie this nigga was like my Dad considering my real one was a deadbeat. My mom had a thing for dead beat niggas.

"Nothing at all wassup wit chu?". I sat in the chair across from him.

"Just tryna find somebody to take my spot. Shit hard cause I gotta find somebody I can trust. And these days that ain't a high number". He kept scrolling.

"Well would you consider family?". I raised an eyebrow.

"I mean I ain't got no brother or sisters or..hell no! Hell no Drea! Hell no!". He finally caught on to what I was asking.

"Why?! I'm grown and you trust me and I think I got what it takes". I spat.

"Drea, first of all Neecey will cut my head off and deliver it to one of the trap houses. Then, I ain't putting you in that kind of danger". He shook his head.

"Listen, all these interviews and colleges and whatnot aint cutting it. I don't wanna work for nobody I wanna be my own boss". I tried to plead with him.

"No Drea". He wasn't budging.

"My boyfriend was killed today because his manager was being racist and then the guy she was being racist to pulled out a gun and shot up the mall. So danger is everywhere. Risk is everywhere. So give me one chance and if I come out on top you give me the job. Plus it'll be like you never left cause whatever you say is what goes but it will just look like it's coming from me". I tried to make a case with this.

"Fine. Bring me the nigga JoJo that snitched on me. You got forty eight hours. Alive. Can't have the nigga dead, Feds really be after my ass then". He handed me a gun out his drawer.