Chapter Thirty-Two: Heart Breaking Moments

Robin felt sick as he stared at the walls of the hospital, he didn't know what was happening and the doctors wouldn’t tell him anything since he wasn’t related to Paige; he wished he knew what was happening to the woman that he loved.

“Is there any news about Paige yet?” José Ras asked as she walked towards her son carrying two cups of coffee, she could see that this was killing him and she wondered what would happen if they didn't find out something soon.

Robin shook his head as he looked at his mother, he had rushed around to the brunette’s after she had called him and he hadn't gotten any response but he never expected for this to happen.

“Nothing… I’m not classed as family so they won’t tell me anything,” Robin said as he glared at the nurses that were down the corridor, he knew that the children were safe and completely unaware about what was happening right now since they were at the Rooney’s for the night.

“Does anyone know that you two are no longer engaged?” José Ras asked as she handed her son a drink, she knew that the coffee wasn’t going to be good but he needed something in his body for what appeared was going to be a long night.

Robin shook his head, he hadn't want to break the news that he and Paige had called off their engagement; he knew that it would only raise questions that he didn't wish to answer.

“Well why not tell them that you are her fiancé?” José Ras said as if it was that simple, she licked her lips knowing that this could help them; she knew that they wouldn’t be able to contact Paige’s parents and she doubted that the brunette’s parents would care.

Robin blinked as he looked at her; he knew that there had to be something that they could do and he hoped that this was it, he watched as his mother hurried away to speak with the nurses.

***

“Miss. Colbrook had appendicitis and unfortunately her appendix burst,” the doctor explained making Robin lick his lips as he tried to wrap his head around what he was being told.

AfterJosé Ras had told the nurses that Robin was Paige’s fiancé and that he was desperately waiting for news, the two had been rushed to see the brunette’s doctor who was now telling them what was going on.

“Paige had developed peritonitis and the burst appendix had started to form abscesses,” the doctor said as he carefully broke the news to the footballer; he could see that Robin was devastated at the news and there was no doubt in his mind that the Dutchman loved Paige.

José Ras carefully rested a hand on her son’s as she took a deep breath; she knew that she would have to ask the questions that Robin couldn't since he was stunned and hurt about what was going on right now.

“Will she be okay?” José Ras asked as she squeezed her son’s hand, he looked at her gratefully wondering what he would do if something had happened that took Paige away from him permanently; he tried to ignore the horrible thoughts that told him that he had to do something to himself.

“Lucky Mr van Persie called an ambulance just in time… we have operated to remove the appendix and clear up the infection as best as we can. I have started Paige on a course of antibiotics, she’s resting now but she’ll need to remain here for the next two weeks for close observation and treatment,” the doctor said as he looked between the two; Robin felt his world spin as he realised that there was a chance that he could lose Paige and he didn't like that idea.

“Can I see her?” Robin asked as he ran a hand through his hair, he licked his lips knowing that he needed to see Paige; he had to see her with his own eyes to know that she was going to be okay.

The doctor nodded his head as he pushed himself to his feet, he could see that the Dutchman wouldn’t be happy until he had seen the brunette; he was a little surprised that Robin was already insisting that he pay for Paige’s medical treatment.

“Of course, Paige is currently in a private room and she should be awake right now,” the doctor said making Robin nod his head relieved as he got to his feet; he had questions that needed answering and he knew that Paige was the only person that could answer them for him.

José Ras smiled as she watched her son leave before she headed to make some calls, she knew that someone had to organise things while Paige was ill and she doubted that Robin would leave her side a lot now that she was in hospital for the next two weeks.

***

Stepping into Paige’s private hospital room, Robin stared at his former fiancée as the doctor moved to check on her; he swallowed as he tried to ignore the flash of memory that remained him of how he had found her.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” the doctor said as he finished checking the brunette over, she opened her eyes weakly as she woke from her light sleep; Paige swallowed as she looked at Robin, he looked as bad as she felt right now.

“How are you feeling?” Robin asked as he moved to sit next to Paige, he smiled at her weakly as he held her hand; he looked over her pale skin and wondered when she would feel better, she meant everything to him.

“I’ve been better,” the brunette said weakly, she had a feeding tube that passed through her nose into her stomach so that she didn't have to worry about upsetting her stomach while she was recovering.

“Why didn't you tell me?” Robin asked as he rubbed her hand to warm it up, he hated to think that she was as cold as a corpse and he didn't want to think about how close she came to actually dying.

Paige stared at him for a moment, she knew that keeping secrets had hurt him and she had a feeling that it was only going to get worse for the two of them.

“We’ve barely spoken to one another since we separated… how could I tell you about this?” Paige said as tears fill her eyes, Robin stared at her heartbrokenly as tears filled his own eyes.

“Listen… if something happens to me then I want you to look after the children,” Paige said softly as she looked at him, she knew that she wasn’t out of the woods yet and she had a feeling that she was going to be unwell for a while. Robin stared at her as he realised what she was saying,

“Don’t… don’t you dare talk like that, you’re going to be fine,” Robin said as he felt his broken heart shattering, he couldn't believe that she was talking about dying; he wasn’t sure that he could carrying on without her.

“But if I’m not then I want you to promise me that you won’t do anything stupid,” Paige said as she looked at him, she knew that he didn't like this and she hoped that he would be able to raise their children without her.

“I promise,” Robin whispered as he felt his tears fall, he swallowed back a sob as he pressed a kiss to her hand; he didn't care what it took he wanted to call Paige his wife before he lost her, she was important to him and he didn't care what it took.

Bob looked at the couple through the window of hospital door, he stared as he watched his son with Paige and he knew that he needed to make things right quickly before it was too late.