Chapter Thirteen: The Unexpected Surprise

Stepping into his home after his first derby match against Manchester City; Robin fought back a yawn as he headed for the laundry room to drop of his bag, it was the 9th of December and things were still a little tender for Paige and Alisha after Evan’s death.

They had returned back to Manchester after they had arranged for everything to be sent to England from Paige’s home in Italy; the brunette had slowly begun to look for a job and Alisha had been enrolled in a school.

“Papa,” Alisha said as she hurried forward to greet her father making him smile as he ducked down to hug her, he was pleased that she had settled into her new school so well; he hoped that it was a sign that things would get better from here.

“Mama’s making dinner, she says we are having sauerkraut and potato mash with bacon,” Alisha said making Robin smile, he loved Paige’s cooking and he knew that it was something that she had always enjoyed along with writing.

The Dutchman set down his daughter before she hurried away to make sure her bag was ready for school, she had made some new friends and Robin was pleased to see that she was adjusting to life without Evan.

Heading into the kitchen, Robin smiled as he watched Paige move about the kitchen in ease as she prepared dinner; she glanced back at her boyfriend, they had been taking things slow in the last seven weeks since they had returned back from Italy and it was clear that they were both happy.

“You played well today,” Paige said as she turned to face Robin, he smiled as he approached her and wrapped his arms around her; he knew they were taking things so but he was pleased that things were going well.

“Thank you,” Robin said before he kissed Paige’s lips, he knew that she was a little nervous about the fact that she hadn't heard back from anywhere that she had applied for job wise; they only cared to contact her back when they learnt that she was dating Robin van Persie.

“Any luck in the job department?” Robin asked making the brunette shake her head annoyed as she moved to check on dinner, the Dutchman watch her before he shook his head and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“It’ll work out Paige,” he promised her making the brunette nod before he moved to set the dining room table while she prepared to dish up for dinner; she knew that he was trying to make her feel better but she hoped that he was right.

“I was thinking that we could do some Christmas shopping tomorrow while Alisha is at school,” the Dutchman said, he didn't want his daughter to discover that Santa wasn’t real and he was looking forward to his first Christmas with Paige and Alisha.

Paige stopped what she was doing and looked at Robin; she looked confused for a moment as if not knowing what he was talking about for a moment.

“There’s only sixteen days left for Christmas,” Robin mused as he wondered where the time had gone; he would have to speak with Bouchra to make arrangements to see Shaqueel and Dina over the holidays.

***

Paige was quiet for most of dinner with Alisha happy to fill the silence with talk about what was happening at school and other things; Robin had noticed his girlfriend’s silence and it made him worry.

“I think I’m going to have a lie down,” Paige said after dinner after she helped Robin clear the table, he looked at her concerned as she headed upstairs without saying anything else; the Dutchman sighed as he quickly loaded the dishwasher before he checked on Alisha, who was occupied watching the television.

He watched her for a moment before he headed upstairs to check on the brunette, she hadn't been the same since he had mentioned that Christmas was coming; he wondered if it had anything to do with Evan.

Stepping into their bedroom, Robin looked at Paige concerned as she sat on the edge of the bed searching through a box; he didn't know what was going on but she shook her head as if not believing something.

“It’s the ninth of December?” Paige said looking at her boyfriend to be sure that she had heard him right earlier when they had been in the kitchen; Robin nodded his head as he tried to see where she was going with this.

“Robin… I’m late for my period,” Paige said softly making him stare at her for a moment, he could tell that she didn't mean by a week or two; he licked his lips as he carefully approached her.

The brunette closed her eyes as she did the maths again in her head, she knew that there was no way that this could down to the stress that she had been under the last few weeks.

“I’m at least nine weeks late,” Paige confirmed looking up at him as he stood before her, she knew that there was every chance that he had gotten her pregnant recently; Robin and her hadn't been able to keep their hands off one another recently and she was slowly starting to accept that this was how her life was meant to be.

“We should take a test… you know to be sure,” Robin said softly as he moved to sit next to Paige, he loved the idea at having another child with her; he loved the children that he already had and the idea of expanding his family thrilled Robin.

Brushing some hair from her face, Paige licked her lips as she nodded her head before she pushed herself to her feet; she always kept a couple of Clearblue pregnancy tests with conception indicator just in case anything like this happened.

Robin watched her disappear into the bathroom, he allowed his head to drop into his hands; he knew that this would change a lot if Paige was pregnant.

***

Robin’s head snapped up as Paige exited the bathroom, she leant against the door as she held up the pregnancy test that she had taken.

“I’m ten weeks pregnant,” Paige said softly making Robin swallow as he realised when he had gotten her pregnant.

It had been the one time that they had slept together while Evan was alive, he closed her eyes as he allowed the news to settle; they still had to see a doctor before they did anything but it was clear that they were going to be parents.

“Robin, will we be okay?” Paige asked softly as she walked towards him, he nodded his head as he got to his feet; he knew that when the press worked out the dates that they’d have a field day with the knowledge that he had slept with Paige while she was still married.

Robin wrapped his arms around the brunette and held her close, they were going to have to be strong; the press were already spinning lies about their relationship and it didn't help that they had learnt that Paige had recently lost her husband.

“It’ll be okay… we just need to make sure that for now we keep this quiet,” Robin said as he tried to wrap his head around the fact that he was going to be a father again; Alisha, Shaqueel and Dina meant the world to him and now to have another child on the way, he knew that this was his chance to make things right.