Chapter Fourteen: Christmas Shopping

It was the weekend before Christmas and Paige had decided to do some last minute Christmas shopping; the brunette smiled as she watched Alisha talk excitedly with Robin, who had insisted on joining his girlfriend and daughter.

“Okay, I have to run a few errands so why don’t you take Alisha to see Father Christmas and I’ll meet you here in about an hour?” Paige said as she looked at her boyfriend, Alisha smiled excitedly as she looked at her mother; Robin nodded at the brunette as he looked at her for a moment.

The brunette walked away as Alisha led her father off to see Father Christmas, Robin looked over his shoulder as Paige disappeared into the crowds; his attention quickly shifted to his daughter.

“So what are you going to ask Father Christmas for?” Robin asked as he looked down at the daughter, she smiled up at him before she started to tell her what she would ask for.

The Dutchman had already completed most of his Christmas shopping and he had sent Shaqueel and Dina’s presents up to London so that they could have them Christmas day and they would them come down before New Year’s so that they could spend time with him.

“What do you want for Christmas Papa?” Alisha asked as they joined the line to see Father Christmas, Robin looked at her for a moment in thought; he had everything that he had ever wanted and with Paige’s pregnancy, he couldn't think of anything that he wanted.

***

Paige entered the shop that she wanted, she pulled the list of things that she needed to get from her cream hobo bag; she knew that the sooner that she finished, the sooner that she could return to Robin and Alisha.

Paige ignored the stares that a couple of the other shoppers gave her, in the time that she had been living with Robin the brunette had gotten used to the media focus on her life.

The brunette was wearing a cream/black heart jumper and indigo skinny jeans paired with black leather boots and a navy popper front skater mac; she had started to think about what she wore since the fashion magazines were quick to comment on her style now that she was a WAG.

Paige picked up a basket and started to work through her Christmas list, she hoped that she would find a job soon before she ran out of money; she didn't want to have to use Robin’s and have it look like she was a gold-digger.

Paige made sure that she stuck to her list as she worked her way through the shop, she hadn't spoken to Robin about her financial problems; she knew that he would insist that she allowed him to help her but she didn't want him for his money and she never had.

Collecting the last item that she needed, Paige headed to the tills so that she could pay; she ignored the glare at the girl gave her as she rung up the items that Paige had brought.

The brunette slipped her card into the card machine and crossed her fingers as she hoped that it wouldn’t be declined; she almost sighed in relief when it was accepted as she made a mental note to check her bank balance before she met back with Robin and Alisha.

Collecting her bags, Paige left the store ignoring the whisperings of some of the staff that had been watching her; she had heard it all before and she knew that it would only get worse when her pregnancy became common knowledge.

Robin had already told the press about how they had dated before, however some details had been changed to make their reunion easier on them.

Heading over to the cash machine, Paige licked her lips as she checked her bank balance; she winced as she saw how little money she had left and made a mental note to be careful on what she spent from now on.

After Ewan had died and Paige had sold their home in Italy, the brunette had been shocked at how quickly the money that the couple had saved up and the funds from the sale of their home had disappeared after she had paid for the funeral.

Paige sighed as she printed out a copy so that she could work out her spends later on, she swallowed as she wrapped it around her bank card before she slipped it into her bag before she headed off to find Robin and Alisha.

The little girl smiled as she hurried towards her mother as she spotted her, Robin followed after her slowly while checking Paige over as if making sure that she was okay; he could tell that something was wrong and he had a feeling that she was hiding something from him.

“So what did you ask Santa for?” Paige asked as she looked down at Alisha, she glanced at Robin who moved to take her bags from her; she flashed him a smile as their daughter filled her in on what she had missed while she was shopping.

“Why don’t we go and get some lunch?” Robin asked as he looked between his girlfriend and daughter; they nodded before he laced his fingers with Paige’s and led them to the food court, the brunette glanced at her boyfriend wondering what he was thinking about.

***

“I’m just taking Alisha to the toilet, can you watch my bag?” Paige asked as she stood and placed her bag on the table; Robin nodded his head as he smiled at her, Alisha took her mother’s hand before they disappeared towards the toilets.

The Dutchman watched them leave as he nibbled on his sandwich; he tilted his head wondering what Paige could be hiding from him.

Paige’s phone started to ring making the Dutchman sighed as he moved to fish it out of her bag, he bit his lower lip as he tried to find her phone before it stopped ringing; Robin furrowed his brow as he spotted a white bit of paper wrapped around a card.

Forgetting his search for Paige’s phone, Robin picked up the piece of paper before he realised that it was an ATM slip; he moved to put it back when he saw the digits that lay on the piece of paper.

Glancing around, the Dutchman moved to check if what he had seen was right; he stared at the digits wondering why she hadn't told him that she was struggling, Robin sighed as he quickly closed up her bag and put it back but keeping the ATM slip for himself.

The Dutchman sipped on his drink as he spotted Paige and Alisha returning, the brunette smiled at him as she approached; Paige kissed his lips before she moved to sit down again.

“Your phone rang,” Robin said making his girlfriend look at him, she tilted her head as she looked at him; she didn't know what it was but she could sense that something had happened while she had been away.

“I’ll check it later,” Paige said smiling, she turned her attention to Alisha, who started to talk about how excited she was for Christmas.

Robin watched his girlfriend; he didn't know why she hadn't told him that she was struggling, especially with Alisha and their unborn child in the picture.

The Dutchman nibbled on his sandwich, he suddenly didn't feel all that hungry now that he had discovered that his girlfriend had hidden something like this from him.