Chapter Nine: Feelings That Haven't Faded

“When will you return to Verona?” Robin asked as he looked at Paige as he prepared to head out to training, the brunette paused as she prepared breakfast for the children; she hadn’t thought about how long she would be staying.

It was early October and it had been three weeks since Robin had learnt that Alisha was his daughter, Paige had been doing some work via email for her job and Robin wasn’t sure how to take the idea that she might leave.

“I’ll probably head back for Christmas… Evan thinks he might be able to come home early,” Paige said softly as she looked at the Dutchman, she felt horrible for mentioning her husband to him but if she didn't then she worried that she would forget herself that she was married.

Robin nodded his head as he remembered Evan, he envied the other man for marrying Paige and having raised Alisha; he didn't know what to expect when he finally met the man that Paige had married. The brunette looked at Robin sadly.

"I’m sorry… you’ll always be able to see Alisha,” Paige said making him nod his head as he moved to stand next to her. His brown eyes searched hers, she swallowed as she looked at him, she knew that he was hurting about this; she hated to take Alisha away from him like this.

“I’m not just worried about losing Alisha… I don’t want to lose you Paige,” Robin murmured making the brunette look at him, her heart suddenly aching as she stared at him for a moment; she looked away making Robin stop her, he licked his lips knowing that they had to talk.

“We need to talk,” Robin said as he glanced at the children, he wished that there was a way that they could talk right now but he had to go to training and the children where here.

“Please Paige… when I come home,” Robin said making the brunette stare at him, she knew that she should put an end to anything that was developing between them but she didn’t know how.

***

Paige licked her lips as she looked at a mobile, she stared at it for a moment as she realised that it was Evan; she knew that he only got to call rarely since he was still in Afghanistan. The brunette glanced over at Alisha before she answered the call.

“Hello,” she said softly as she moved to where the children couldn’t hear her; she licked her lips as she heard the cheerful voice of her husband.

“I’ve missed you… I can’t believe that it’s been nearly a week since we last spoke,” Evan said making Paige smile softly as she leant against the wall, she had missed the sound of his voice and couldn’t wait to have him home safe and sound.

“I miss you too,” Paige said softly as she looked at Alisha, who was talking with Dina; the brunette licked her lips as if knowing that Evan had called to tell her something. She heard him sigh and waited for a moment.

“I have to tell you something Paige… I’ve known since I met you that you loved Robin, those feelings haven’t faded and I won’t ever hold it against you if you were to choose him,” Evan said making the brunette furrow her brow.

Paige moved to sit down as she listened to her husband, she didn’t know what he was telling her and it made her worry that something was about to happen that he wasn’t telling her about.

“Listen all that I have ever wanted for you and Alisha is for the two of you to be happy… even if it wasn’t with me,” Evan continued as tears started to fill Paige’s eyes, she had a horrible sinking feeling and it was starting to scare her.

“Evan… you are scaring me,” Paige said softly as tears trailed down her face, she didn't notice that Alisha was watching her concerned; she heard Evan sigh as she waited for him to continue speaking, to tell her that it was all okay.

“I know but I’m telling you that if anything happens to me then I want you to make yourself happy,” Evan said as he blinked back his own tears, Paige choked back a sob; she wiped away her tears wondering what had brought this on.

The couple were both silent as what Evan was saying slowly started to sink in, the brunette ignored the sound of Robin coming home; Alisha moving to stop her father from interrupting the important phone call.

“It’s another mission isn’t it?” Paige said softly as she moved, she couldn't bring herself to look at Robin who was watching her concerned while she spoke with her husband; there was something wrong and it was making her feel sick.

“You know I can’t talk about it Paige… just know that whatever happens I love you and Alisha,” Evan said as his commanding officer called him away.

Paige closed her eyes as she stepped into her room and sat down on the bed; she swallowed as she realised that this could be the last time that she spoke with her husband.

“I love you too and thank you for everything…” Paige said making Evan chuckle softly, she smiled gently as she heard him talk; she didn't know what she would ever do without him. The brunette licked her lips as she tried to calm herself.

“I’ll see you soon,” Evan promised her before he ended the call; Paige sat quietly for a moment as she took in what had just happened.

***

Robin looked at his ex-girlfriend as he entered her bedroom, he hadn’t seen her all afternoon since he had arrived home to find her crying; Alisha had told him that she was talking to Evan.

“Is everything okay?” Robin asked softly, he slowly approached her as she wiped away her tears; he didn't know what had happened but he could see that it was hurting Paige.

“Fine… Evan’s just been sent on another mission,” Paige said softly making Robin look at her concerned, he didn't completely believe her and it was clear that she was hurting right now; he didn't want to talk about his feelings for her while she was like this.

“He told me that he knew I had feelings for you… he wants nothing more than me and Alisha to be happy,” Paige said making Robin stare at her, he licked his lips as he stared at his ex-girlfriend.

The Dutchman looked at her for a moment before he moved closer to Paige, he needed answers and he was close to getting them; he swallowed as he looked at her.

“Do you still have feeling for me?” Robin asked softly, the brunette stiffened as she realised what she had said, she looked at Robin as she wondered what she had said.

The former couple sat in silence for as Paige struggled to find words to say anything, Robin shifted nervously as he realised that she might not have feelings for him.

“I do… I’ve always loved you Robin,” Paige said softly shaking her head, he looked at her hopefully as she ran a hand through her hair; she licked her lips nervously as she realised that she had finally admitted her feelings for him.

“I love you too Paige,” Robin said softly, he moved slowly to cup her face; he didn't want to scare her off now that he was so close to getting her back.

“Robin I’m still married to Evan,” Paige said as if trying to remind him, he nodded his head as his brown eyes searched hers; he knew that she was married but he had a feeling that this was going to be his only chance to do this.

The Dutchman drew her into a small kiss, he held her close as she wrapped her arms around his neck; she knew that she would have to think this.