Chapter Seven: Is There Something There?

Paige yawned as she rolled over and looked at the clock next to her bed, in the week since she and Alisha had moved to stay with Robin; Evan had been worried about his wife spending time with the Dutchman.

The brunette rubbed the sleep from her brown eyes as she looked at the clock and sighed, she was dressed in a black intimates simmering mist set and was wrapped up warm in her duvet.

Brushing some hair from her face, Paige sighed as she pushed back the covers and allowed her feet to touch the cold floor; she shivered slightly as she climbed out of the bed and headed for the en-suite.

Things between her and Robin had been a little awkward, Paige could feel the spark that they’d had before she left for Rome and it made her wonder what her life could have been like if she had never walked away like she had.

The brunette slowly prepared for the day, her thoughts focused on what could have been as she dressed in a grey space dye pointelle top and high waisted skinny jeans paired with brown ankle boots.

“Morning Mama,” Alisha greeted as she padded into the bedroom, Paige smiled at her as she brushed her hair; she loved her daughter and had always wanted for her to have a family, though now she worried that she’d be pushed out of it.

“Morning, did you sleep well Tesoro?” Paige asked making Alisha nod her head before she started to tell her mother about the dream that she had, had that night.

Robin looked up at his daughter as the little girl led her mother into the kitchen; he smiled as he listened to her talk before he sighed and looked at Paige.

The Dutchman had felt the spark that he had felt all those years ago when he fell in love with her; even now he felt it and it made him wish things had been different for them, he wondered what their life would have been like.

“Morning papa,” Alisha said cheerfully as if not noticing the tension between her parents; the little girl pretended not to notice but she could see that her parents loved one another, even if they wouldn’t admit it to each other.

“Morning schat,” Robin said making Alisha flash him a smile before she moved to sit at the breakfast table, leaving her parents alone; Paige flashed him a smile as she moved to turn on the kettle.

“How did you sleep?” Robin asked as he made Alisha some cereal, he glanced at Paige as she made them both some coffee; the pull in his chest aching as he watched her.

The brunette nodded her head as Robin gave Alisha her breakfast, she knew what was happening and Paige didn't know what to do to stop it.

“So what are you doing today?” Paige asked hoping that she could have some time to herself to sort out her feelings for the Dutchman; she needed to put her feelings aside for the sake of their daughter.

***

Unfortunately for Paige, Robin had no intention of leaving her alone for the day and had insisted that she join Alisha and himself; he knew what she was trying to do and wasn’t going to let her slip away.

“Look mama,” Alisha said as she hurried forward and pointed at the elephant, of course; the Dutchman had decided to bring their daughter to the zoo on a day like today.

Paige smiled as she looked at her daughter as Robin walked alongside her, she knew that she should try and spend time apart from him but it was difficult.

“So tell me about Verona,” Robin said as he looked at Paige, he knew little about her life after she’d had Alisha and he was curious about what she had been doing since dropping out of university.

The brunette paused for a moment and looked at him, she tilted her head for a moment before she glanced at Alisha, who was still admiring the elephants and paying her parents no mind.

Paige tucked her hands into the pockets of her black utility parka, she knew that he was curious but it made her nervous to talk about her life back in Italy.

“It’s nice… it took some getting used to,” Paige said with a shrug making Robin chuckle as he looked at Alisha, who has started to led her parents through the zoo.

The two of them were silent for a moment before they realised that they could no longer see their daughter; the former couple cursed as they looked around wondering how she had disappeared.

“She was just here,” Robin murmured as he looked around, he couldn't believe that she had disappeared so quickly; he had just had his eyes on her and now Alisha was missing.

Paige ran a hand through her hair wondering how they had managed to lose their daughter at the zoo; she could already hear Evan’s voice in the back of her head shouting at her for letting the little girl disappear.

“It’ll be okay, we’ll find her,” Robin said as he took Paige’s hand, he could see the panic that was building and he didn't want her to worry; Alisha couldn't have wandered far.

The brunette flashed him a small smile, she felt her heart skip a beat as Robin held her hand; she licked her lips trying to ignore the feelings that it awoke inside of her.

“Come on,” Robin murmured as he started to search for Alisha, he couldn't believe that he had lost his daughter.

The couple were soon searching frantically for Alisha, they knew she couldn't have wondered far but it worried them about who might discover their daughter and what they might do.

***

Alisha smiled as she watched her parents, she knew that what she was doing was wrong but it was clear to see that her mother was in love with her father; she liked Evan but she wanted her mother to be happy.

Alisha licked her lips as she watched her father comfort her mother, she knew that Evan had looked after her since she was a baby but she had a feeling he wasn’t going to stick around forever.

“Mama,” the little girl said making Paige sigh in relief along with Robin as they turned to see their daughter; Alisha hurried forward and hugged her mother, which a glance at her father.

“Don’t ever wonder off like that again,” Paige scolded as Robin watched his daughter and former girlfriend; his heart was thumbing in his chest as he thought about what could have happened to Alisha.

“I’m sorry Mama… I won’t do that again,” Alisha said as Paige released her, Robin moved to hold his daughter; it felt strange that he hadn’t been able to hold his daughter at the same time as Paige.

The Dutchman wished that there was something that he could do to win her over, but with Paige being married he didn't want to put her husband through the same hurt that he had suffered when Bouchra had left him for another man.

Alisha looked between her parents, there was definitely something there and if her parents weren’t going to do something about it, then it was up to her to make sure that it did.

Taking both of her parents hands, Alisha wondered what would happen when she met her half siblings; she had a feeling that they weren’t going to be happy with her plan to set her mother up with their father.