Chapter Eighteen: Ringing in the New Year

Paige sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror; she had been hiding in the bathroom for about twenty minutes now and she knew that Robin was probably wondering what she was doing in there.

It was New Year’s Eve and José Ras had insisted that they have a lovely meal out before they headed back to Robin’s home to welcome in the New Year, however Bob had done nothing more than repeatedly bring up the idea of having a prenup.

Paige was wearing a black lace V-neck peplum top and mocha belted pencil skirt paired with black sandal boots and a black clutch bag with corner plate and side strap; the brunette was a little stressed out since she’d had to cope with Shaqueel and Dina’s arrival the day before.

Shaqueel hadn't taken the news that Robin was marrying Paige very well and it had gotten worse when he had learnt that the couple were expecting a baby; he had been doing everything in his power to drive a wedge between the couple and it was driving Paige up the wall.

The sudden knocking at the bathroom door made the brunette closed her eyes; she took a deep breath before she moved to open the door.

“Are you coming out any time soon?” Robin asked as he leant against the door frame as Paige opened the door to him, she allowed him to step inside and closed the door behind him making the brunette sigh.

The Dutchman eyed his fiancée for a moment before moving to wrap his arms around her, he knew that she was having a hard time and he didn't want her to be stressed out.

“Sorry for leaving you down there, I just needed a break,” Paige said as she offered Robin a small smile, she sat down on the bathtub as he watched her; she knew that she was probably being silly but she just needed some time to herself before she returned to the nightmare downstairs.

“Between your father talking about a prenup, Shaqueel acting up and your mother’s constant talking about the wedding, I needed a break,” the brunette said making Robin nod his head understandingly, he knew that there was only so much that Paige could take of tonight before she’d lock herself away.

The Dutchman had warned his parents about getting on top of the brunette, she hadn't really had to deal with parents for a while and she wasn’t used to having to answer to anyone who could cause her problems like this.

“Sorry about my parents, my mother’s just excited since when I married Bouchra we had an Islamic wedding and she hopes with us that we’ll do things her way and marry in a spiritual wedding,” Robin said as he looked at the brunette.

She nodded her head as she turned her attention to him; she knew that his mother meant well but she wasn’t used to having things expected of her anymore.

The Dutchman kissed Paige softly as they sat quietly in the bathroom, the couple enjoyed their quiet moment before Robin got to his feet; he smiled at Paige as he offered her, his hand so that he could help her to her feet.

***

Bob glared at the brunette as she spoke with José Ras; he couldn't believe that his son wasn’t listening to his advice that he should get a prenup; he knew that the moment that his son married Paige that Robin would lose everything.

Bob only wanted what was best for Robin and it worried him that his son wasn’t going to be prepared for what would happen when he married Paige.

“Dad?” Robin asked as he approached his father, he hadn't missed the dirty looks that Bob had been shooting at Paige for the last few hours; he knew that his father didn't approve of his refusal to have a prenup drawn up but this was his decision.

“I can’t let you do this Robin, you need a prenup… I can’t let you marry Paige without one,” Bob said as he looked at his son, he looked at him pleadingly while the footballer stared at him; he didn't like what his father was implying and it unsettled Robin what he might do to stop them from marrying.

The footballer hadn't told his parents about the mountain of debt that Paige had been left with when Evan had died; he knew that it would only make things worse if he told them that he had paid the debts off himself.

“You make it sound like you’ll do something horrible,” Robin said as José Ras and Paige looked over at the two men, they had heard what Bob had said and it was clear that this wasn’t going to end well.

Bob swallowed as he realised that he was going to have to tell his son about what he had done, he knew that Robin wouldn’t be pleased with him when he learnt of the trouble that he had caused.

“I’ve called Jonathon and Elizabeth, they’ll be here next week,” Bob revealed making the colour drain from Paige’s face, she hadn't seen or spoken to her parents since she’d found out that she was pregnant with Alisha; they had disowned her when she had dropped out of university.

Robin glared at his father, he had heard about what had happened between Paige and her parents and he hadn't been happy about what they had done to their own daughter; he had hoped that he would never see the couple again.

“Why would you do that?” Paige asked as Alisha hurried over to her mother, she knew little about her maternal grandparents and what she did know wasn’t pleasant; they had made it clear that they wanted nothing to do with their daughter or any child that she bore.

Bob glared at the brunette, he knew that he had probably overreacted but he thought that his son was rushing into this and that Paige had manipulated the outcome.

“All of this is happening so quickly, I can’t let my son make this mistake again,” Bob said as he looked at Robin; the footballer looked at his father disgusted that he had done this to him, he couldn't believe that he had betrayed him like this and had contacted Paige’s parents.

***

Running a hand through her hair, Paige sighed as she tried to wrap her head around what was going to happen; she had never expected to see her parents again and now they were coming to see her.

“You okay?” Robin murmured as he kissed her neck, he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer; he knew that she was a little worried about the trouble that would come to light when her parents arrived.

“I don’t like this Robin, I don’t want them back in my life,” Paige said making him nod softly as she turned to face him, he knew that she had reason to be nervous about seeing her parents again; things hadn't end well when she had last seen them.

Robin kissed his fiancée softly; they had been completely honest with each other about their seven years apart and the Dutchman knew that her parents would try and use some facts to pull them apart.

“I won’t lose you Paige, whatever they say won’t change my feelings,” Robin said as he cupped her face, his brown eyes searched hers; he didn't care what her parents said.

“I love you,” Robin said as he rested a hand on the small swell of her stomach, he knew that they would try to pull them apart and he wasn’t going to lose her again no matter what happened.