Chapter One: Saying Goodbye

Looking at her boyfriend of four years, Paige Colbrook wondered if she was doing the right thing; she brushed away a couple of stray tears as she watched him sleep while she dressed quietly in a royal blue top with V-neck in crepe and black acid wash skinny jeans paired with black cowboy ankle western boots.

The brunette knew what she was doing was going to hurt him but this was something that she had to do for herself, she was nineteen years old and she knew that she couldn't cling to her twenty-three year old boyfriend forever.

Paige's brown eyes lingered on her boyfriend for a moment, she felt guilty that she was leaving him like this but she knew that it was for the best; he was an up and coming footballer that played for Arsenal and she needed to make her own way in life.

Paige had been so excited when she had received her letter of acceptance to the University of Rome; she hadn't expected to get in but had been excited when she had been accepted.

Of course, her boyfriend hadn't been happy that she was considering going to the University; he had expected her to apply somewhere local because of his career, they had been living together for nearly a year now and he hadn't expected to lose her so soon.

The two argued constantly about it with Paige insisting that she needed to do this; though she knew deep down that her boyfriend understood, he was just afraid of losing her.

Paige pressed a gentle kiss to his head after she had finished getting ready and removed the Swarovski match two colour metal heart necklace that she had been given for the anniversary; her suitcase and passport where by the front door ready for her to head out and head to the airport for her flight.

"I love you," Paige whispered gently as she blinked back tears placing the necklace on the bedside table, before she took a deep breath.

The brunette walked away from her boyfriend and quietly collected her things; she offered one last look towards the bedroom before she slipped out of the apartment and left him behind.

Waking up slowly, Robin van Persie moved his arm to wrap it around his girlfriend, the two of them had been fighting the night before and he wanted to make it up to her; however his arm hit the cold empty space next to him making the Dutchman open his brown eyes concerned.

Robin looking around confused as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, his eyes searching the room before he noticed that Paige wasn't there; climbing out of bed, the Dutchman shivered as his feet touched the cold floor before he started to search his apartment for his girlfriend.

The Dutchman frowned when he spotted a note attached the fridge with his name attached it, moving to read it; however he colour drained from his face as he realised what it was.

Robin turned on his heel and cursed as he rushed back into the bedroom to get dressed spotting the necklace as he did so, he couldn't believe that she was leaving him behind without saying goodbye.

As the Dutchman dressed and picked up his car keys then the necklace, he felt sick at the thought that he might not get the chance to say goodbye to her.

He knew that she wanted a clean break, she thought that it would hurt less for the two of them if she left like this but he couldn't let her leave without saying goodbye.

***

Paige sighed as she looked at the departure's board of the airport, she had just put her suitcase through the check in; she knew that her flight left soon and she still had to make it through security.

The brunette stopped moving as she spotted Robin standing behind her with one of their close friends; he looked heartbroken that she had attempted to leave.

"Robin, what are you doing here?" Paige asked as Robin moved towards her and wrapped his arms around her; their friend, Soufiane Touzani,watched them sadly, he had hoped that the brunette would change her mind and stay for Robin's sake.

"I had to say goodbye... I couldn't let you leave," Robin said as tears filled Paige's eyes as she looked at him; she knew that this was the moment that would make or break them.

"I love you Paige... and if this is what you want then I will let you go," Robin said as he brushed some tears from her face; he wanted her to be happy even if it wasn't with him.

Soufiane looked at Robin sadly; he knew that there was no coming back from this if Paige got on that plane.

"I love you too Robin," the brunette said shaking her head sadly making Robin smile down at her sadly, he knew that he was doing the right thing; she'd only hate him in the long run if he convinced her to stay.

Removing the necklace from his pocket Paige looked at him confused as he signalled for her to turn around so that he could place it back around her neck.

Paige did so without question making Robin smile softly as he put the two colour metal heart necklace back where it belonged; he wanted her to have it even if this was the end for them.

"I really do and I don't know what I would ever do without you," Paige said making Robin offer her a watery smile as she turned back to face him; she knew that her decision was hurting them both but she had to do this.

The brunette ran her fingers through his hair; she didn't want to do this, but she knew that she couldn't place her future in Robin's hands.

Paige knew that if she stayed and things didn't work out for them, that she would need something to help her get a job; she knew that going to University in Rome was a little far but she wanted to experience things.

"I'm sorry," Paige said shaking her head, she felt like her heart was breaking and she wished that it was easier than this; Robin tilted her head up to look at him and kissed her softly.

Soufiane watched sadly, he knew that he was going to be left to pick up the pieces and he wished that it could go another way but he also knew that this was the way things were going to be.

"I love you so much," Robin said making Paige kiss him softly as her flight was called over the system, the brunette looked at him sadly wishing there was some way that this could work out.

"I love you too... I will never forget you," Paige said as Robin made sure that she had everything before he let her go; the couple stood across from each other, Paige looked at Robin sadly as she took a deep breath and walked away.

The brunette had an odd feeling that this wasn't going to be the last that she ever saw of Robin and that she was walking away with more than the necklace.

***

Soufiane sighed as he set down a hot drink in front of Robin, who was sat quietly on the couch; he hadn't said much since Paige had left, it was clear that he was mourning for the end of his relationship.

"I spoke to Bouchra yesterday... she's back from Monaco," Soufiane said making Robin nod as his friend tried to make polite conversation with him; he closed his eyes as he thought about losing Paige, he wished that they could have survived this but he knew that it wasn't likely.

"It'll be nice to see her again, I think the last time we saw her was about two years ago," Soufiane said as he sat down across from Robin, he knew that Robin had been good friends with Bouchra before she had gone to Monaco to visit family and to study.

Bouchra was from a rich Moroccan-Dutch family and they had never approved of their friendship, especially Bouchra's mother; Boadicea Elbali.

"I think she said something about meeting up tomorrow... do you fancy it?" Soufiane asked making Robin swallow as he closed his eyes, he wanted to be left alone but he knew that his friend wouldn't let him be.

Soufiane sighed as he set down his drink and watched Robin.

"You know what they say Robin... If you love somebody, set them free. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were... maybe this is all just some big test," Soufiane said making his friend look at him.

The old saying ringing in his ears as he sipped on his drink wondering if he would ever see Paige again and if he did would he still love her like he did now?