23

Liam finally pulls up to a diner that has that old school theme. It reminded me of a Ruby's, but not as mainstream.

"What is this place?" I ask him as he turned off the ignition.

"Darell's Ice Cream." He says. "I wish I could say that this place is good, but I've never been here," he says before getting out of the car.

We walk in to see that there was barely anyone there we sit in the booth when a waiter brings us the menu.

"So what happened yesterday?" Liam asks as he opens up the menu. "Like in math." He adds for clarification.

I look at all the ice cream flavors, not wanting to be dramatic. I trust him. I really do, but there was still a part of me that told me not to tell the truth. However it was almost as if I had no control over my mouth.

"James got in a pretty bad accident." I say as nonchalantly as possible. "He'll be fine so..." I trail off.

Liam looks up at me. "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

"I know." I cut him off quietly. I clear my throat to fill the silence. "But we're lucky. He's alive and that's all that we can ask for."

"Yeah, that's one way of looking at life." He says before asking for chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

I order mint and chip. It was a classic flavor. We get to the cash register and I start to grab my wallet.

"Don't even try," Liam says calmly as he hands the cashier some cash.

"I was planning on going halvesies," I tell him.

Liam chuckles as he grabs his change and takes his ice cream. We find an empty two seater table to sit at.

"The boy always pays for the girl on a date." He the says as I took a bite of my ice cream. I nearly choked when I heard him say those words. I look into his eyes when I was reminded of what his father said to me.

Grace was a beautiful girl. You're much like her, because you're a liar.

"Everything good?" Liam asked unsure of what to say.

"Yeah," I say for myself. "Yeah, I just didn't know this was a date." I then say for him.

"Oh. Well I meant it as-"

"I like it. This being a date. It's nice." I then recover after seeing his face drop.

"Good." Liam smiles showing off his perfectly white teeth and those perfectly blue crystals that take place for his eyes.