17

I get in the car and call Liam back only to be put to voicemail. I shrug it off as I start the car and drive home.

When I get home I go to James's room to see him reading a crinkled piece of paper.

I knock on his door, and he looks up at my sharply. Eyes still red, but not as torn as Autumns.

"I know." I tell him as I walk into his room. "I went to Autumns apartment and she told me-"

"Why?" James asks scrunching his brows together. "It was none of your business." His tone was so closed off and defensive. I could tell he was scared.

"Yes it is." I say in an equally defensive tone. "You bailed on dinner with dad's new toy, and then you lock yourself in your room, giving your own family no explanation." I take a breath to collect myself. "So, of course I was going to go-"

"I don't know what to do." He cuts me off with a soft voice.

I pause before glancing over at the crinkled piece of lined paper. "What's that?" I then ask him nodding towards the paper.

James takes in a deep breath before saying,"Dad gave it to me after I told him. He said that it was in her old journal or something. It's when she was pregnant with me."

"What does it say?" I ask now intrigued. I didn't know that my mom even had a journal.

"That there is no right or wrong time to have a kid, she says that you'll never be ready to have a kid." He inhales deeply before saying, "But when it happens every thing will fall into to place. I don't know what that means, but I don't think I should." He looks down at the paper. "I don't think I'm going to understand this until I accept the fact that I'm going...to be a father."

I let a couple moments pass before saying in a soft voice,"Go to Autumns apartment. She needs you right now. She needs to hear this."

James looks at me with tears welled up in his eyes. He tightly holds the paper in his hand and reaches over to wrap his arms around me.

"I love you, Andi," he whispers in my hair.

"Love you too."