12

I didn't go back to sleep. My mind kept me alert with my thoughts rushing in and out, involuntarily replaying my nightmare and feeling immense guilt. Not to mention the figure outside my window that I thought I saw.

It ended up getting hot in my room. But I wasn't about to open my window. Opening the window would mean having to face everything that the world holds. It's much easier to keep it closed and locked shut.

I lay in my bed for a couple minutes when I finally decide to get up, still feeling the effects of the night I had.

A knock on the door interrupted me from myself and my grandmothers sweet voice followed.

"If you're awake, breakfast is ready." She said behind my door. I didn't want reply back, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to face anyone at the moment.

"Ok." My mouth said without my brains permission. I drag my body out of my bed. I go into the bathroom and get a good look at the girl staring back at me.

Light brown hair in a tangled knots. Hazel eyes decorated with dark circles. A pale face with speckles of light brown dots scattered across her nose and onto her upper cheeks. She was a mess.

I was a mess.

However, I try hard to at least not come across as a mess. This is only for me to know. I brush through my hair, and wash my face. There. Mess concealed.

"Oh, Andi, I was just telling James how we might have Sara over for dinner." My Dad tells me as I dish up my breakfast.

"Sara?" I ask, knowing well who Sara was, however I played the dumb card, and kept staring at my eggs.

"The girl I'm seeing." He clears his throat. "I want you guys to meet her, I think you'll like her."

I sit down with my plate and nod my head. What was I suppose to say.

"Why don't you give us a little run down on Sara before she comes over." James said scooping eggs into his mouth. "Just so we can prepared." He assured. How was he so nonchalant.

"Well," Dad pauses. "She's a bit younger than me, we work at the same bank," he starts to list. "She doesn't have any kids."

"How old is she?" I then chime in, interested in the age gap.

"Early 40's," He answers me, a little hesitantly.

I look up at him once he announced her age. "Dad, you're going to be 50 next year," I inform him of his age.

"Yes, I'm aware and so is she." He shifts uncomfortably in his seat as the silence started to settle in.

While the clanging of the forks against the plates filled a small percentage of the silence, when the doorbell rang.

Dad scooted his chair back to open the door. I hear an unfamiliar voice at the door, so I turn around and see a police man. 

"Why is there a police man at our door?" I whisper to James. He shakes his head, also unsure why. I turn back to face the door to see both of them talking.

"James, Andi," we hear Dad call from the door. We both cautiously get up out of our chairs and walk to the doorway.

"Mr. Robins is part of the team that's working on your mothers case." He said solemnly.

"Yes," Mr. Robins nods. "And we're almost completely certain that your mothers death was in fact a murder. We're trying to find who did it, but if I'm being honest this isn't at the top of our priority list."

I threw a couple glances. Every muscle was tended up and his fists were clenched together.

"It's been 10 years." Mr. Robins went on. "So the killer could either be dead, moved to another part of the world, or in jail for something else. So what I was basically sent to tell you was that we are considering this a closed case." He takes in a breath letting his words slowly sink fully into our heads. "Although it can be reopened, but for the time being there will be no more time exerted into this crime."