15

I don't understand why kids can't see parents for people. I don't see my dad as Dan Lowry, I see him as my dad. If I saw him as Dan Lowry, I wouldn't care that he was dating Sara.

But I don't. And Sara isn't exactly someone I'd like to call my stepmom either. But let's not jump to that conclusion.

We were all sitting on the couch after eating dinner. Sara was still talking about God knows what. I fiddle with my fingers when the door opens.

A red eyed James slowly walks in. His eyes grow big as he sees Sara sitting on the couch next to my dad.

"I'm sorry." He says. His voice raspy and rough. He clears his throat before saying,"I'm James by the way. I got caught in school." He explains himself.

However I didn't buy it. His face was pale, but his cheeks had this rosy tint to them. And his hair. His hair looked as if he ran his fingers through it a million times, and didn't try to fix it afterwards.

"It was lovely to meet you," He then states as he shakes Sara's hand. "But I have a lot of work to catch up on." He says as he excuses himself to his room.

We all watch as he swiftly walked away. I look over at Dad who was already on his feet, following him.

All three of us are left in the silence. Not even Sara would speak. We all just listen, trying to hear what was going on.

"How about that peach cobbler I made?" My grandma posed, breaking the silence.

"I would love some." Sara said crossing her legs.

"I'm ok." I tell her, as she scurries into the kitchen.

And then there were two. And again for the first time tonight, Sara didn't initiate the conversation.

"Why are you dating my dad?" I ask her softly. It was a question that I didn't realize was burning inside of me.

"He's honest." She starts without hesitation. "Most of the guys I date want one thing, but your father is different. He likes me for who I am, not what I am." She smiles. Her smile was genuine, and for the first time, I saw her as pretty.

"That's what they all say." My voice was low, but I knew that she could here me. "What did he say about my mom?" I then ask. I might as well, since I have the chance.

"He said that he'll tell me when he's ready." She answers. "And I respect that, and I know that your mother will always have a special place in his heart." She sighs as she turns her body to face me. "Andi, I'm not here to replace your mother. I could never do that."

"Then why are you here?" I ask her with my eyebrows scrunched.

"Here you go, sweetie," my grandma interrupted as she set the peach cobbler on the coffee table.

Sara smiles and thanks her as she picked it up. And we are now, once again, in silence.

That is until we all heard a crash coming from James room. We all rush to the source of the sound and see James with tears streaming down his face. Dad was near the doorway, staring at the broken mirror that I'm guessing he threw.

"C'mon." Dad whispers softly as he starts to usher all of us out of his doorway. However I'm stuck in my tracks, as I stared at my older brother.

My older brother who looked completely broken. The one who was always there for me when I lost my mind over the simplest things. My rock  that kept my grounded. But I guess all stones break at some point. Except diamonds. Only diamonds can break diamonds.