Chapter Twelve; Third Exam

Grayish-black hair. Blue eyes. A lean figure. A handsome face.

      My father stands in front of me. The sky is crying, as Madoka explained it to me when I was young. I laugh humorlessly. The last time I considered myself young was when I was three. Then I had to grow up fast.

"Kasumi, I hope you're using your Kekkei Genkais wisely." Kekkei Genkais? Plural?

      I take in the landscape. Mountains. I squint my eyes as the sun peeks out from behind the clouds. "I also hope you soon understand what I mean by that, young one. Remember, I did this all for you. I became a traitor for you, Kasumi, my only daughter. My pride and joy before I deflected from the village. They didn't understand that what I did was a good thing. No, they didn't understand at all. You are meant to become the most powerful kunoichi, ninja even. And when you unlock your powers and achieve that, crush them! Crush them all! Make them bow down at your feet, Daughter! Demand obedience and loyalty!"

A crazed look crosses his face as he speaks vehemently. "We can rise to power together, Kasumi. Wouldn't you like that? Side by side like old times, my dear Daughter. I'm all you have left, afterall." I narrow my eyes. I pull out a kunai and chuck it at my father. It hits him and the scene before me shatters like broken glass.

Things are groggy when I wake up. I blink a few times to adjust to the darkness. I narrow my eyes at the silhouette standing in front of the slightly moonlit window. I shift around in the bed, causing the man to look over at me. Half his face is hidden in the shadows, but I recognize him immeadiately.

      "Kakashi." I mutter, my voice scratchy from not being used. I clear my throat. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be training with Sasuke?" I ask, sitting up. He slides his hands into his pockets and takes the four steps to my bed. "It's actually around two in the morning of the third exam. Sasuke's sleeping and I heard you were here, so I came for a visit." He explains with a closed-eye smile. 

"I've been out for over a week?" I question, eyes wide. He nods. "Yeah, your temporary team have been visiting you daily, until they left on a mission. They should be back soon. They carried you all the way back and straight to the hospital, you know." I shake my head slightly. I run my fingers through my hair and decide it needs a good wash. "Why was I asleep for so long? I know I lost a couple quarts of blood.. but my body should have replenished that in no more than three days." 

"That's true. No one really knows. They injected plasma into your bloodstream after fouf days of you not waking up, but it didn't really do anything. Anyway," Kakashi says, suddenly turning serious, "did you have any nightmares?" I cock an eyebrow at his sudden change in mood. He takes a seat on the end of my bed. "I did actually." I state monotonously, shifting around in the bed. "What did Madoka say?" He asks curiously. "It wasn't Madoka. It was my father." I inform Kakashi. He stiffens just enough for my observant eyes to pick up.  "What did he say?" 

"He said I have two Kekkei Genkais. Then, he said he became a traitor for me. My father basically said his plan for me is to become the most powerful kunoichi, ninja even." I explain absentmindedly. "The weird thing is he looked older than when I last saw him." Kakashi peers at my face. "What are you suggesting?" I shrug, staring out the window, at the moon. Evidently, there was a full moon just yesterday. "I just find it odd." I say, turning on my side and lying down. "Goodnight, Kasumi." Kakashi whispers before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

*

I scout for a seat in the stands. Sakura, catching my eye, waves frantically at me. "Kasumi-Sensei!" She cries. I sigh and take a seat on her left, with Ino on her right. 

I watch Naruto's match intently. It wasn't a lie when people said Neji is a formidable opponent. Just when I begin doubting Naruto, his Nine Tails' chakra saves the day, reopening his chakra points. I allow a smirk when Naruto wins his match. But it immeadiately turns into a small frown when I realize Sasuke and Kakashi have yet to show up. 

The next contestant, Kankuro, forfeits, so it goes on to Temari and Shikamaru's match. I know Shikamaru is intelligent, so he must have a good reason for forfeiting. "That idiot!" Ino shrieks. "He's the laziest person I've ever met! He could have won! I can't believe he forfeited!" Or not..

Kakashi arrives with Sasuke just in the nick of time. I wouldn't be surprised in Kakashi's horrid punctuality rubbed off on his students. I ignore him when he lands on the railing diagonol to me. I keep focused on the intense match. 

So Kakashi taught Sasuke the Chidori.  His lightning techniques are working well against Gaara's sand, at least. I glance towards the Hokage's seating area. The Hokage has a warm look in his eyes, while the Kazekage has an almost hungry look. I narrow my eyes in suspicion. I confirm my suspicions when feathers begin raining down upon us. "Kai, release." I murmur. 

I stand up, swinging my sword over my shoulder. I cut down two Sound Ninja before glancing to the arena. The Sand Siblings flee the arena, with Sasuke following. I take down a few more guys. "Sakura, wake up Naruto and Shikamaru." Kakashi orders, clashing a kunai with another Sand Ninja. "Huh?" Naruto mutters as he awakens. Kakashi throws a kunai towards the trio, killing a ninja sneaking up behind them. "You were just pretending to be asleep?!" Sakura suddenly screams. "It was a drag.." 

"Listen up, this is your first A-Rank mission. Follow Sasuke and make sure he doesn't engage in battle with Gaara." 

"Aren't you or Kasumi-Sensei coming with us?" Sakura questions. "No, we have to stay here. I'll send one of my ninja hounds with you." He takes out a scroll and swipes his blood down it, summoning a Ninja Hound.

      I zone out of the conversation as four Sound Ninja surround me. I do a 360, swinging my sword out. Three manage to jump out of the way. I leap onto the railing beside Kakashi and Guy, with the Sound Ninja following after me. I jump over the railing, into the arena. I release the explosive tags from my sword and set them off as they make contact with their skin. 

I continue taking down one Sound or Sand Ninja after another. The signal goes off and we all begin our counterattack. I glance towards the skies, seeing the Nine Tailed Fox. I glance towards the Hokage's fight as I kick my leg out behind me, hitting a Ninja in the groin.

      I swing around, cutting him down with my Shibuki Sword. Kakashi and Guy join Genma and I on the ground. The four of us stand back-to-back as another wave of Sand and Sound Shinobi approach us. I sigh, stepping forward and releasing paper bombs on the intruders. They explode as both battles reach their close - one tragic, but both life-changing.